Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Considering the D5000
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:03 am 

I found the listing, does this sound like a good deal? Are the lenses any good?

http://cameralabs.pgpartner.com/search_ ... t/sv=title

Canon SD750
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/37592444@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:32 am 

Now I want the D90. What do I do???

http://www.camerakings.com/ViewProduct. ... iceGrabber

Canon SD750

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:03 am 

Hi J!

I can't seem to get through to the D90 link, I get an error from my web browser...

I'd recommend the D90, it's a nice camera, and it's been at an all time low price ever since the Nikon D7000 has been announced!

You may want to consider a different lens than the kit lens, the kit lenses don't tend to be as good quality, try one of my favorites, the 16-85mm VR II lens. It has better optical quality, better build quality, it's wider and it has the new VR II technology. The downside to this lens is that it costs over $600, which is a bit much compared to a kit lens.

Another one of my favorites is the 35mm prime, it's not a zoom, but it's still a very good lens. It's solid, has good optical quality and it is very fast (F1.8).

If these are still out of your price range, consider the Nikkor 50mm AF lens, it's designed for full frame cameras, but it will work with the DX cameras as well. It won't autofocus on the D5000, considering that it doesn't have an AF motor, but it would AF on the D90. The 50mm would turn out to be about a 75mm lens on a DX camera, which is a bit longer than most normal lenses, but it's a good combo between a normal lens and a portrait lens, just make sure that you don't try wide angle! The advantage of this lens is that it's $20 cheaper than the 18-55mm (In Canada), which is great!

Any more questions? Just ask!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 pm 

Thanks evan, are there any decent lenses at a decent price? I would hate to get a good camera just to have my photos suffer because the lens sucks. How bad is the kit lens? I'm not a professional doing weddings or anything but I do like to do more than just family point and shoot. Would this lens get me by for a while? I will post a separate question for lens. Thanks for the help.

Canon SD750

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:57 pm 

Well, the kit isn't terrible, but it's not great. Check out Gordon's video of the 18-55mm kit, he'll show you that because the end of the lens rotates to focus, it's not a good lens for filters or manual focusing. I've never used AF on an SLR, only MF, meaning that I would be doing some AF to try it out, but also the MF is important to me because that's what I'm used to. Ask yourself, do I want AF, MR or both?

Also, I don't like the kit lens plastic mount. I just so happen to live in the coldest major city in the world, where temperatures can reach up to -55 degrees centigrade during the winter time (Although it's reached colder than -60!), and the plastic could crack and make the lens fall. I wouldn't want to bring a DSLR out in that weather (Any camera for that matter) but in the winter, I don't want plastic. Also, the kits aren't the best optically.

If you have $600 or so, try the 16-85mm. That's one of the favorites of photo enthusiasts who want very good optical quality, and VR II technology. Also, as I mentioned before, the 35mm F1.8 is good, and also the very affordable 50mm F1.8 is nice. Have any other lenses in mind? Just ask!

By the way, in my last post, I said the 50mm F1.8)
I meant to say 50mm F1.8 ) but the website thought that I was typing a smiley face, not 8 and then a bracket.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams