Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm 
I was looking at pentax and how similar they are to olympus. And I am starting to think. why didnt I go with Pentax. Full sensor and same build and design. here comes the regretting. the K-5 and K-7 look just like olympus built them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:29 pm 
now im looking at the lenses and really regretting olympus. great prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:17 pm 

I remember considering Pentax, struggling company, but still with fire in the belly.

The deal breaker for me were actually the lenses (limited choices and not reviewed so well) and the so-so implementation of Liveview in the entry to mid level models (in 2009).

To each his own, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:36 am 
I do really like the k-5 on paper, but it just looks a bit cheap. Olympus pro bodies just look like a much more quality item.

But I'm still strongly considering the K-5. I want to get some good ultrawide angle shots from the sigma 8-16mm and I can't do it with Olympus.

I also am considering the Nikon D7000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:05 am 

I was initially going to go with Pentax a couple of years back but they are just not available anywhere (digital). Olympus were available in a few shops whose owners understood why people went for them - but alas even they don't stock them anymore.

When my E520 gives up the ghost I'll have to regrettably go with Canikon. I hate following crowds though :(

m4/3 is starting to look like a viable option for me - I'll wait for some nicer bodies :idea:

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject: pentax
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am 
I am a pentax user, K-7 with a heap of lenses. The pentax body is well made and on about a par with the E-3 for ruggedness. Pentax lenses are a mixed barrel. Some of their primes, 31mm FA limited in particular are almost perfect it gives a equivelent feild of view to 46mm so almost a standard 50mm lens on a digital body. This lens is as close to perfect as pentax make but its not weather sealed and very expensive. They also make a 77mm limited which is also as nice. Of their zoom lenses the DA* are the finest, fully weather sealed and constant F2.8 or F4 dependant on the lens they are fairly good particularly the 50-135mm F2.8. They are also a bit pricey and the pentax SDM which is equivilent to SWD drive on an olympus lens is prone to failure especially the 16-50mm F2.8. If you check the subject in the pentax forum it is common for it to fail. I have not heard of many olympus SWD lens failures. I think these failures are very disapointing for a premium lens and a very expensive fix when its out of warranty especially if it keeps happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 am 
@Ambrose21
Full sensor? I thought Pentax uses APS-C?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm 
The K-5 does look a bit primitive with the blocky shape but if previous models are anything to go by, it will be anything but cheap feeling. However, it is quite expensive compared to its rival on paper, the D7000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
This might not be too similar case, but couple of months ago I was to buy the Pentax K-2000 camera. I was amazed at how large it was! The photos were OK, but not knock your socks off. So, I returned the camera and got my money back.

Then I purchased the Olympus E-420 two lens kit ( Zuiko 14-42mm and the Zuiko 40-150mm). The E-420 is delightfully small, it produces great photos and the two lens kit covers from a 28mm wide angle to a 300mm telephoto. I don't need any more lenses.

I found a used Olympus FL-36 flash on e-bay at a great price and I am all set. My wife and I travel a lot and the E-420 is just great, as well as just the right size.