Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax K7 or Pentax Kx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm 
Hello, need your help!

With the release of the New models Pentax K5 and Pentax Kr the Pentax Kx and K7 model are really good deals now. I have never used nay DSLR it will be my first one but I am pretty familiarized with manual controls since I have a Canon G10 and G11 just after they were released which are compacts but allows full manual capabilities.

The point is I don't know if I buy a Kx with kit lens (U$ 500) with a 31mm 1.8 limited (U$ 1000) . A Great lens with a entry level camera Total U$ 1500. Or a K7 body (U$ 800) with the 31mm 1.8 limited (U$ 1000) Total = U$ 1800. The difference is U$ 300 but I will not have the 18-55mm kit lens even paying more.

Do the IQ of the K7 is far superior to justify this trade-off? I like portraits, landscape, and street photography (that's why the 31mm 1.8). Not so interest in Night photography.

I do prefer use viewfinder instead of liveview . I think the K7 have a better viewfinder. But I don't know how bad is the one the Kx. This U$ 300 is driving me nuts...

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 am 

Hello

I have neither camera so I cannot comment on the individual pro's and cons with any real authority, however, when I was looking for cameras (I have the K10D) the decider for me was actually handling them.

Once I had handled the K10D my mind was made up.

One point that I find important is the control wheels, I like the K10D as it has one on the front and one on the back making it more useable, in my opinion.

While the cameras you mention are almost certainly all very good the K7 (I believe) has the wheel front and back whilst the KX has only one which is on the rear.

Also the KX does not illuminate the selected focus point in the viewfinder (so I believe) which to me would be a deal breaker.

Hope this helps :D

Cheers

Stu.

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 pm 

Bonsoir,

If this is your first dSLR, may I suggest you to go for the K-7?

Even if it is more expensive than the Kx, the K-7 includes much more professional oriented features, so you'll enjoy it longer, first in automatic or semi-automatic mode, then in assisted manual or full manual mode.

You could also read my full user review.

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:36 pm 
I agree 100% with Rei... they K7 is a midlevel SLR which will have a lot more to offer not to mention a larger body if your hands are larger. The KX and KR are both way to small for my sausage mits. I really hope Pentax doesn't continue with this small body trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm 
I love the K7,it's a wonderful step forward for Pentax...the K5 is cool too. But still I wouldn't choose it over a Nikon D300 or the D7000.
Pentax doesn't have lenses...no 50mm(just the super old version,that has it's well known problems),no 85mm,it has the 17-70mm F4 which is a great zoom but it's pretty expensive...Pentax lacks important lenses for beginners & amateurs....dreamy prime lenses are a must,but why settle with exclusive & hefty lenses when you can go to other brands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 am 
Pentax has the DA* 55mm f/1.4. That's 82.5mm in FF terms and is a lot closer to the classical portrait length. Then there's the 77mm ltd lens which is similar enough to 85mm that you'll find little to quibble with. There's also Sigma who produce primes in the 30mm, 50mm, and 85mm variety.

The advantage of buying into the Pentax camera system and getting primes is that all your primes are stabilized. That's a very compelling USP to some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 am 
the 55mm* F/1.4 is expensive & not sharper than the other 50mm out there. the 77mm is softer & more expensive than let's say Canon's & Nikon's 85mm.
but indeed the stabilisation with any lens is a great advantage for begineers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:57 pm 
No lens is perfect. Anybody who claims to have found the perfect lens is blinded by fanaticism or has not tried enough lenses ;)

The 55mm is weather sealed, and it's better built than many other 50mm lenses. The FOV is also a lot closer to the traditional portrait focal length. The downsides are that it's expensive, and the SDM focus motor isn't the fastest in the world. The 77mm is also smaller and it's solidly built, with the entire lens made out of metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm 

bonjour,

The DA* SDM lens range offers excellent quality for a decent price.

The DA* 16-50mm f2.8 ED/AL (IF) SDM is a perfect zoom to start with along with the K-7.

Never forget the best camera will provide poor results if the lens isn't up to the sensor quality.

Have a look at the camera + lens bundles: Pentax usually prices them very aggressively.

Nice to hear from you and your final choice :)

Best regards,