Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:24 am 
Hello guys,
I want to buy a camera for wildlife *(birds, mammalls). I'm biologist but also love taking photos. I have a Sony h50 and cannot stand anymore with auto-focus and lack of zoom. I'm not a Neurologist, so I don't earn much money, that means I want things cheaper as possible. I'm tired of looking reviews and reading so much stuff. Now I'm decided to get one of these cameras:

-Canon EOS 550 t2i
-Sony A55
-Nikon d90

Which of them had not so expensive lenses (I want with max. 300 or 400 mm). But I need also image stabilization, quality and velocity.
I'm not sure if the canon has stabilization in the body.
I know that I don't want cameras with stabilization;motor in the lenses, because it's too expensive although they have a cheaper body.

I also don't mind to get used lenses. I live in Germany.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm 

rbsuhs

I believe Canon image stabilization is in the individual lenses.
Just a guess tho.

Have you looked at Pentax?
Cost wise...not so bad.
User friendly.
I/S...in body

Sigma lenses to go with it...
Cost wise...excellant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:32 pm 

The Canon and Nikons both use lens-based stabilization - if you are looking for in-body stabilization, that's the realm of Sony, Pentax, and Olympus.

However, just to throw out a little aside - comparing directly lens-to-lens, surprisingly the stabilized lenses from Canon and Nikon aren't necessarily more expensive than the non-stabilized equivalents for Sony and Pentax. Cost for new lenses isn't really any advantage one way or the other. That said, in-body can still have some nice perks, like buying used lenses cheap, or more specifically buying older lenses, cheap lenses, or primes that aren't offered with lens stabilization, and still getting optical stabilization with them.

All the cameras you listed are fine cameras...though a wee bit different. The Canon is an entry model, well featured, and plenty capable...the nikon is an advanced entry model which will have a few faster performance specs...but is also an older model close to replacement...and the Sony is a brand new model with a new type of mirror system that stays fixed while shooting and uses main sensor to provide the view through an electronic viewfinder or LCD. All are probably pretty close to eachother in overall image quality, and higher ISO performance...just understand the difference of how each works...and see if you can handle the cameras and decide what you like the feel of in your hands.

Also, you might consider some other models in the Sony line if you aren't as interested in the electronic viewfinder or if you don't like the much more compact body of that camera - the Sony A500 and 550 are just as capable and fast performance-wise, being roughly equivalent to the D90 and about the same age, so they are on good sale prices...they have similar high ISO performance, fast 5fps and 7fps burst rates, and huge batteries that will last for 1000+ shots on a charge. And the new A580 camera is the replacement for the A550, just debuting in the next month or so...it has a few more beefed up features and is a nice evolutionary upgrade over the A550 model.

Just some extra stuff to consider!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 pm 

kpr and zack covered it well... I would suggest looking at Pentax/Sony if you want in body stabilization. Taht being said of the canon and the nikon you have mentioned... both have pros and cons... the canon is newer but entry level whereas the nikon is an older model but mid level as zack mentioned. You need to figure out what features are most important to you and just as importantly which feels right to you and go from there.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr