Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 am 
I finally got a job woot and they want me to start tom there shot is of a soccer event of some kind it looks as though i will be using a canon 50D but i will probably ask if i can use my 7D since i'm more used to is it and the higher frame rate any advice on the setting i would use on a 50D and on 7D if different I'm pretty sure i know on a 50D i would probably shot at 400 iso and on my 7D try a little hire sure i'm ready for this just would like some advice so i can go in there and impress them so i can keep this job sorry if that is long im really excited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:44 am 
Hi KevinM,

first of all: congratulations :-)

Your excitement is evident from your words and the complete absence of any punctuation, commas or real sentence structure lol.

If it's an outdoor/daylight affair, either camera should be fine as there will be lots of light. Of course, the lens plays an important part too - but the 7D may well be better at tracking and maintaining focus, perhaps.

While I don't dabble much in sports-photography, a fast shutter-speed is a must for capturing the action. What I've noticed in many professional soccer-photo series, have a few real close-up of a player or two engaged in a shot, heading the ball or simply running into each other. Keeping an eye out for when the ball is about to come down among several players, is where the really exciting shots emerge.

Personally, I find wider-angle soccer shots a little drab - you can't really grab much of what's going on and it doesn't really say tell much of a story. When soccer-shots really pop, is when you see the very intent faces, twisted in some extreme grimace of exertion and intent.

Also, try and be conscious of changing levels so they aren't all at eye-height. Creates some variation. And make sure you throw in some that have a shallow DOF...creates some "intimacy" and "presence".

Good luck with your assignment/job and please, if you can, share some of them here with us! Looking forward to seeing what you get :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:53 am 
Yes sorry i have calmed down a bit now and realize dam it like i didn't go to school or don't know english. Thank i will defiantly try and grab some shots to add to my portfolio.

in case you were wondering i have no real idea what is going to happen tomorrow this is all the info i got in the email they sent me

STAFF:
The purpose of this email is to confirm you are staffed for an event, by replying to Elizabeth. Please respond immediately, especially if you are not available, so the event can be re-staffed without you. Please confirm for the following event(s):

Quote:
STAFF:
The purpose of this email is to confirm you are staffed for an event, by replying to Elizabeth. Please respond immediately, especially if you are not available, so the event can be re-staffed without you. Please confirm for the following event(s):

Thursday, September 23, 2010:
Event: San Tan Youth Soccer Competitive Picture Day
Address: Snedigar Sports Complex Chandler, 4500 S Basha Rd Chandler, AZ 85248 (Field S-16, SEE MAP)
Event Times, from: 4pm – 7pm
Staff Arrival Time: 3:00pm
Staff: (EM: 623-224-4846)
Dress Code: TCS or Navy blue polo shirt, khaki pants (no cargos/baggy/saggy/ripped pants, backward hats, do-rags, no gauge rings or tongue rings!!)
Directions: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 34274&z=11

What does TCS Mean anyone??

Last edited by KevinM on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:54 am 
tcs:
above the minimum standard required for modesty. Same goes with language so don't cut the words Kevin
Good luck for tomorrow :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 am 

Hi Kevin,

I agree with LahLahSr about sports wide angle shots, perhaps a few wides to show the whole event and maybe the fans to capture the spirit of the game from the side line. Getting up close and capturing the eyes if possible makes an interesting shot.

In sport, speed is important to get sharp shots, I would suggest no less the 1/800 or 1/1000. DOF is a personal choice and Gordon’s tutorials on the forum are good.

Have a look in this section of the forum and see what others have shot in sports and hopefully you will find something to your liking and check out any EXIF. The link below has shooting details.

Good luck and most important, have fun. :)

Cheers

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23166

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:36 pm 
Besides the camera settings, I'd make sure that you have the following :

Spare batteries, for camera, flash, anything else
Spare cards, with a place to store them, and a way to make sure that you don't take out a full card when you want an empty card. I would ensure that all cards are empty and formated before going.
A Swiss Army knife.
Bottles of water.
Make sure that your tripod or monopod is in a fully working condition.
A hat (not a cap) that has a soft brim so that it covers your neck but doesn't get in the way of your shooting.

Extras that I've found REALLY handy : elbow and knee pads

I'm no pro, but I've done a few amateur sports.

Best of luck.

Matt

P.S. You may want to remove that person's phone number from a public forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 pm 

Position is very important. You won’t be able to get close up shots if you are in at the middle of the field. A soccer field is 100 m long so to shoot at a max 50m you need a serious telephoto with a serious aperture, and the angle of your view will be limited.
Another tip, go to the bathroom before the event, so your shots won’t come out err… jumpy :-)
Best of luck.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:19 pm 
i want to thank you all for your help. and give u an update it wasn't at all what i expected it turned out to be portrait work which i didn't mind. every thing working out well i have done 3 jobs so far and my 4th on tuesday im having fun and making money doing it.

@mattyb the numbers are all public domain i think ill remove the peoples names though

P.S. if you live in california or arizona the company is still hiring people