Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 pm 

Hi folks,

Warning - contains images that may seriously damage your bank balance! 8)
A Hasselblad for the rest of us - I wish! Although at under €10,000 compete with an 80mm lens it's not bad for a Hassy. From this press release:
    Hasselblad expands its H4D line with the new H4D-31

22/09/2010 The H4D-31 – the perfect digital medium format alternative for 35mm DSLR photographers and for V-customers who are ready to transition to digital.

Following the enthusiasm with which the H4D-40 has been embraced, Hasselblad was inspired to offer photographers the H4D-31, bringing the ultimate in image quality to high end 35mm DSLR photographers who want to step up to medium format. At the same time, Hasselblad wanted to offer its V-System customers a digital alternative by bundling the H4D-31 with a CF-lens adapter for mounting V-System lenses.

The H4D-31 delivers the same superior image quality that is the hallmark of the Hasselblad name. Thanks, in part, to the combination of its low noise color filters, Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (HNCS), with its single color profile, and exquisite performance of the HC/HCD line of lenses, the H4D-31 provides color accuracy, excellent detail and clarity - everything you'd expect from a Hasselblad camera and more.

Equipped with the same advanced technology as the H4D-40, the H4D-31, features Hasselblad's True Focus, which provides focusing accuracy throughout the image field - even at close range with shallow depth-of-field. Hasselblad's innovative use of yaw rate sensor technology solves the challenge of having to focus and recompose in order to acquire a focus point outside the center area of multi-point AF systems. True Focus ensures that photographers quickly and accurately achieve the desired focus at any point.

Currently shipping, the H4D-31 is available in two configurations, both with the latest version of Hasselblad's Phocus 2.6 software. The first, designed for high end 35mm DSLR photographers comes bundled with an 80mm lens. The other offers a digital medium format solution for V-System users by bundling the H4D-31 with a CF-lens adapter. Both options are priced at 9,995 Euro (+tax).
And here's what it looks like:

Finally, it's not worth a separate thread but as it's the silly season and "special editions" seem to be de rigueur here's a red one:
This special edition will be released in October and you can read more about it here. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:37 pm 

Ugh!

I really DONT like their desing, but the price tag is really nice :shock:
Maybe a good idea to look for used ones?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:37 pm 
Sounds very cool,a Hassy for 10K. It will rival the Pentax & Mamiya at this price tag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 pm 

Wow that's "cheap" for a Hassy....
Even though a have a very good contact at Hasselblad, i will never be able to afford it...

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:08 pm 

Great camera for a very good price! And a good move by Hasselblad, IMO.
Read this earlier on the site of the British Journal of Photography: Hassy's 200MP sensor might interest some of the pixel peepers reading along:

Hasselblad ups the ante with 200-megapixel camera

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 am 

Was reading this on "BJP" looks rather interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:31 am 
You don't often see a camera announcement without any mention of sensor technology and the amount of megapixels on its sensor. Is that their way of suggesting they are the Rolls Royce amongst cameras?

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm 

Judging by the dodgy logo on the Red version it seems it is more the "Ferrari" of the camera world not the Rolls Royce. :wink:

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:45 pm 

Hi mirageii,

I know what you mean. I wonder if the "Ferrari" comes with a "flappy paddle" gear change. :twisted:

Given the choice between the two I actually far prefer the look of the H4D-31 and it's actually almost the same price as the Pentax 645D. But, like with Leica, when you factor in the cost of extra lenses you can be in for a nasty shock. I'm quite content to window shop but keep my wallet firmly in my pocket. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:34 pm 
As somebody that knows almost nothing about medium format cameras,I would be more attracted by the Pentax. :) Better design,has a lot of new features,great metering & the K7 AF,I like the brand as a subjective factor & I know a lot of sharp Pentax lenses for it. (I can't find them in my country,but this is besides the point :lol: )
Why would the Hassy be a better option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:02 pm 

Hi Razvan,

I've got no issues with Pentax in particular but I've always admired Hasselblads as pieces of sculpture. I'm not likely to take photographs with either, ever!

But here's a little test. See how quickly you can find Hasselblad's USA site detailing its medium format cameras and then try the same exercise trying to find the Pentax USA pages for their own medium format offerings. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but if I were spending that sort of money on a camera system which very likely would have to earn its keep I know which one I'd opt for. 'Scuse me while I head off to the Hasselblad site and do a spot of drooling. :lol:

Update: OK, I'm back and the dribble is cleaned up. Quite interesting reading the Hasselblad HC Lenses Lens Book (PDF file). There's an introduction to MTF charts on page 4 and an explanation of why it's difficult to compare such charts when the size of the sensor differs. Then on page 5 there are a couple of direct comparisons with two Canon lenses. OK, it's a Hasselblad brochure but the results are darned impressive. 'Scuse me while I head off to the Hasselblad site and do even more drooling. :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:57 pm 
well the 16-35mm is a lousy lens to start with,but yes,the Hassy is really something to drool about. :)
we should do a drooling topic :D Hassy vs. Leica vs. Nikon vs. whatever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:17 pm 
Dont forget Gandolfi Raz