Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm 
No NEX7 shown at the current trade show, according to coverage.

But there's a promise of new firmware for NEX3/5 that takes every reviewer's suggestion about assignable buttons. So one-button HDR may be coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will, that's an interetsing comment about the grooves in the kit lens - I agree it can feel a little unusual...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Sony's NEX news afrom photokina. Fantastic news about the firmware update, although there's no mention of full manual for movies, just aperture control - still, it's great to see SOny responding so quickly to reviews and requests.

E-mount system cameras: NEX-5/NEX-3

The growing range of E-mount system cameras, lenses and accessories is on display at Photokina. The compact, beautifully styled NEX-5/NEX-3 feature an APS-C size sensor, allowing photographers to capture DSLR-quality stills and video with the creative freedom of interchangeable lenses. On show are prototypes of seven new E-mount lenses that will be available during 2011 and 2012.

Available from mid-October, a firmware update adds fresh functionality to the NEX-5/NEX-3. Autofocus operation is now supported when using A-mount SAM and SSM lenses with the optional LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor (upgrade for NEX-VG10 is available from mid-November). There’s also a new custom function that allows assignment to buttons of frequently-used functions, plus a new function to record movies with setup aperture.

E-Mount series interchangeable lens camera
Camera body
・Color Variation Concept Models of NEX-5 and NEX-3

Lenses
• Wide fixed focal length CZ available from 2011
• Telephoto zoom available from 2011
• Macro available from 2011
• Portrait available from 2011
• High performance standard zoom G available from 2012
• Wide zoom available from 2012
• Mid-telephoto available from 2012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 am 
According to photoclub Alpha site, Sony is opening up the E-mount and is working with third-party vendors for third-party lenses and adapters for E-mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm 
If the new firmware delivers, then I might have to get a NEX-5 to replace my camcorder, as for what I do it would be much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 pm 

I've been wondering about this for a couple of days and haven't had nor found a response to it...

In the Sony NEX brochure I got at a local Sony Centre I read that the Background Defocusing feature will not work when using Sony A-mount lenses. Sony will release a firmware update, allowing Alpha lenses to be used with AF through the adapter, as well as setup aperture during movie capture. I can't but wonder why the Background Defocusing feature could not work with Alpha lenses ? I mean, I presume they can be used in aperture priority (A) mode. Basically, you're doing the same the Background Defocusing would do...so what's the problem ? I could imagine myself using iAuto a lot, hence I'm asking it here: is the brochure outdated (because of the firmware update) or would this still be the case ?

Quote:
Support for A-mount Sony lenses with internal motors. Initially, the NEX cameras only supported the older A-mount lenses in manual focusing mode. The update will support autofocus operation with A-mount lenses that have internal focus motors. (We didn't take time to do a full count, but we think that's a total of about 12 lens models.) NOTE, though, that you actually have to upgrade the firmware in the lens adapter, as well as in the camera itself. (We were surprised to learn that the A-mount to E-mount adapter actually has a chip in it, to translate data between the lens and the camera body. As part of the update process, then, you'll need to attach your Sony A-mount adapter to the camera, so the camera can update the adapter's firmware.)

Aperture control in Movie mode: Probably the biggest single request from video shooters, the new firmware will let you control the aperture used during video shooting in two different ways. In Auto mode, whatever amount of "background defocus" you select in still-image mode will apply to video recording as well. Likewise, if you've selected Aperture Priority mode for still shooting, the same aperture setting will apply when you switch to movie recording.

(I-R)

My photos on Flickr...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm 
Hello All,

First off, I've been following this site for quite a while and have finally taken the plunge and registered a forum account. I must give a big THANK YOU to all the folks here that contribute to make this site such an awesome photography resource :-)

After a 20 year break from playing with cameras other than P&S, I've taken the wee step into an "adult" digital camera with the new NEX-5 based on comparisons of reviews from this site. I was initially torn between the NEX for it's small size and ease of use, and the EOS 550D. The impressive handheld low-light capabilities pushed me to the NEX (primarily interested in night time photography).

One month and a few thousand pics later, I'm loving my decision...this thing gives impressive results for such a portable package!

There's been one problem however that I'd like to inform my fellow members about: the dreaded "Camera Error" message popped up on me a few times. I'll get this error randomly when releasing the shutter - the screen goes black and the camera is completely unresponsive (also sounds like the shutter stays open). Cycling the power usually has no effect, I'll have to remove the battery to get control of the camera again. Sometimes (but not all) when the battery is reinstalled, the shutter will close again and I'm able to use the camera for a short while before the error happens again.

I hit the internet and found a few mentions of this issue on various sites through my Google-fu skills and the suggestions were always to return the camera, followed by a few suggestions to re-seat the lens, memory card, and reinstall the battery.

Two days ago I got the "Camera Error" message again, was out in a park on a beautiful day, and was quite anxious to get a few more snaps in the remaining few nice days of the year. I quickly flipped the camera over to remove the battery and noticed that when I opened up the battery compartment the red LED next to the memory card was on continuously. I grabbed the SD card from my P&S, stuck it into my NEX and formatted. I was able to continue the day without another problem.

When I returned home, I copied the files from my "dead" SD card, reinstalled it into the NEX and formatted. I then proceeded to fill the card twice in continuous shooting mode (approx 3,000 images) without any further problems.

Poking around the contents of the NEX formatted memory card, I saw that the camera uses an image / video database file. I'm thinking that perhaps my constant manual moving / deleting files with my PC's SD reader slot has corrupted this database file (when the camera locks, it seems like it did so while writing the file to SD).

I can't validate this info as I don't have anything that will read the NEX database file format, but the above explanation seems logical to me.

So....fellow NEX users: If you start getting this "Camera Error" message, try formatting your SD card before taking it in for exchange or repair ;-)

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board Brian, and thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 pm 
Hello all,

NEX firmware v3 debuts!

Thought I'd post this for the benefit of fellow anxious NEX users:

http://support.sony-europe.com/hub/hub.html

The firmware update was not on the US support site a few hours ago, but can be found at the above link.

In short - WOW. Do yourself a favor and get this update ASAP! Customizable softkeys and a reworked menu structure really make all the difference in the world using this camera. I've been playing with it for the past several hours and must say that Sony has addressed nearly all concerns reviewers had with the camera initially. Night and day difference in handling. Sadly, there's still no precision digital zoom enabled with the kit zoom lens (only the pancake), but I'm waiting for the firmware hacking community to take care of that one for us ;-)

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:41 pm 

What I'm still wondering about is if the background defocus feature still works with the A-mount lenses through the adapter. They work (i.e. the aperture can be changed, AF is available, etc), so I don't think it's a big deal to make this work...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:22 pm 
Haven't seen any mention about that either, I've been looking at A mount lenses for more versatility but was rather alarmed by the decrease in focus speed with these lenses. Below is the full press release from Sony about the firmware update, last paragraph mentions the autofocus speed reduction:

FURTHER ENHANCEMENTS FOR SONY NEX-5 AND NEX-3 CAMERAS

Firmware upgrade adds AF support for A-mount lenses

A new firmware upgrade adds further operating refinements to the NEX-5 and NEX-3 compact system cameras from Sony.

Available now for download1 with versions available for Windows and Mac OS2, the free upgrade adds several performance enhancements. Autofocus is now supported when using the NEX-5 and NEX-3 with 14 lenses from the full range of A-mount optics by Sony and Carl Zeiss that includes telephotos, primes and zooms. Aperture settings can be maintained during HD movie recording, and system menu operation has been streamlined alongside other usability improvements. Registered NEX-5/NEX-3 owners will be advised of the free update via email.

Autofocus with A-mount lenses
Single-shot autofocus is supported with 14 optional A-mount SAM and SSM lens models3 when used with the optional LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor. Single-shot AF is also possible while in movie recording mode by pressing the shutter button halfway down. Support for AF operation with A-mount lenses also requires a separate firmware upgrade for the LA-EA1.

Aperture priority with video recording
HD video can be shot while maintaining constant aperture, either in A (aperture priority) mode or in iAuto mode with background defocus activated. This aids the simple creation of beautiful background defocus effects during movie recording.

Soft key settings
It's possible to customise functions of two of the three soft keys on the camera's rear panel. Functions that can be assigned include Shooting Mode, Shooting Tips, Precision Digital Zoom, ISO, White Balance, Metering Mode, Flash Compensation, DRO, Auto HDR, Creative Style, MF Assist and AF Area.

Menu start
When 'Menu' is selected, there is now the option to display either the main menu screen or the last parameter set. This simplifies quick readjustment of recently-selected functions and settings.

MF Assist
An enlarged image portion can be displayed on screen with user-selectable duration while in MF (Manual Focus) Assist mode. MF Assist operation has also been improved. The previously-chosen magnified image portion can now be maintained when MF Assist is re-selected, making repeated checks of fine focus quicker and more convenient.

Notes to editors
1 NEX-5/NEX-3 customers can download the firmware upgrade from http://support.sony-europe.com/hub/hub.html

2 System requirements [PC]: Windows XP SP3 (64-bit and Starter editions not supported); Windows Vista SP2 (Starter edition not supported); Windows 7
System requirements [Macintosh]: OS X (Ver.10.5 and Ver.10.6).
[PC/Mac] Hard disk space: min. 200MB / RAM: min. 512MB.
Upgrade requires USB cable connection between computer and NEX-5/NEX-3.

3 Autofocus function is supported with these A-mount lenses:
SAM lenses
· DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM [SAL1855]

· 28-75mm F2.8 SAM [SAL2875],

· DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM [SAL55200-2]

· DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM [SAL30M28]

· DT 35mm F1.8 SAM [SAL35F18]

· DT 50mm F1.8 SAM [SAL50F18]

· 85mm F2.8 SAM [SAL85F28]

SSM lenses
· Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM [SAL1635Z]

· Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM [SAL2470Z]

· Distagon T* 24mm F2 ZA SSM [SAL24F20Z]

· 70-200mm F2.8 G [SAL70200G]

· 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM [SAL70300G]

· 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM [SAL70400G]

· 300mm F2.8 G [SAL300F28G]

AF support also requires firmware upgrade for optional LA-EA1 Lens Mount Adaptor.
With an A-mount lens attached to NEX-5/NEX-3, autofocus takes approximately 2 to 7 seconds based on Sony measurement standards. Actual AF time with A-mount lens may vary depending on the subject and shooting conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm 
One more thing:

After the update on my NEX-5, I noticed a nice little feature that hasn't been mentioned on any of the previews. With the programmable softkey "C" (the center button on the wheel), you can assign three different function menus and cycle through them with the d-pad. In essence, you get four hotkeys (one direct and three additional with d-pad selection) from the new firmware configuration instead of the two that are advertised.

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 am 
MirrorlessRumors says Pentax may be using the Sony NEX sensor in a line of compacts coming in 2011: "The Pentax mirrorless camera will feature the same Sony NEX-5 14 Megapixel APS-C sensor. "

Although stated as a fact, bear in mind it is a rumor site.

I, personally, can probably not wait to see if Pentax maintains the same low light ability, and to see if Pentax makes a better menu. I'm *this* close to getting a NEX5, I just have to line up the money.

I've been playing with the NEX5 at the local camera shop, trying out both lenses, and liking it more and more. And I tried the A33 at the same time, and I did not think the NEX5 shutter noise was THAT much louder. Both would annoy parents at a school play.

The 16mm was really nice. I was sad to find that there is indeed a noticeable difference between 16mm and 18mm. Enough of a difference to make both lenses desirable, though I'd go with the zoom if I can't find enough dough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:49 pm 
Hi! :o

Bought a Sony NEX-5 18-55mm, immediately flashed it with v03 firmware.
This is my first system camera, fun.
My Panasonic FZ28 took good pictures, but this one takes great pictures.
One question though, is it correct White Balance & Exposure Compensation can't be set in Handheld Twilight mode only in Anti Motion Blur mode?
This makes HHT less useful than it could be, sadly.

Anyway, video looks very good, size of the body is perfect and shooting speed is fast. Love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm 

I consider getting the silver NEX-5 with 18-55mm lens and the external microphone for Christmas/New Year :).

Now I've read pretty much every decent review on the internet, but I'm still in doubt. Even after the firmware the UI isn't as great as Sony's DSLRs. Then again, I think the UI issues may be a bit exaggerated...

But I love the build quality of the NEX-lenses. It's an example of fine engineering and (old fashioned word but still:) what I'd call craftsmanship, although these aren't made by hand anymore anyway :).

So I'm tempted to get one, but I'm just not sure if it's the right decision to take really :?.

My photos on Flickr...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next