Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:07 am 
i think it will be a good camera. i wouldn't move up from the E-3. but as a E-520 owner I have no where else to go. shame about the art filters. Suppose they can be ignored. And I never thought cameras should be able to take video, may as well step into the future.

Post subject: e5 for an e-300 user
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 pm 
I've used olympus for 20 years going from my om-10 to the e-300 when I switched to digital. I'm saving up for a major upgrade as the seriousness of my photography is requiring an update. I don't have a major investment in glass (only have two general purpose lenses). At $1699 CA, is it really worth getting the E5 simply for brand loyalty. I'm just concerned if I'm going to make such a large investment if I may be better served with the competitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:35 am 

Geoffrey this is similar to my situation too. While I don't need a new body, I do want some better lenses and I'm unsure whether to stay with Olympus or move on.

I would suggest you keep your eye out for someone selling their E3 + lens collection for fire sale prices. You could pick up a great system for buttons.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm 
@Ambrose21

I regularly use the diorama Art-Filter and I think it is awesome. The new one "Dramatic Tone" looks very interesting too - I think it's some very powerful in camera HDR solution - we'll see when the camera is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 am 
Hi,

This one seems odd: Olympus is seemingly using the 'old' 12.3MP sensor that was on the E-620 for its 'ultimate' flagship camera. And, almost simultaneously, we have the Panasonic GH2, which is also based on the four thirds sensor, but has a new, seemingly breakthrough sensor. It's an 18MP (vs. 12.3MP) and can support 1080p video at 50fps or 60fps, has a wider ISO range and is 'multi-aspect,' though I don't understand what exactly that means. However, I was under the impression that Panasonic manufactures the sensors for the Four Thirds, and so if it had this sensor, why did Olympus use the 12.3MP sensor on the E-5, especially considering that their releases for the pro cameras are so far apart?

Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:20 pm 

Panasonic may be partners with (m)4/3 but they are also competitors. Panasonic wants to keep the sensor while it can sell the GH2 for a while and then, somewhere down the line, sell it (or something like it) to Olympus. It's essentially a weakness for a small company like Olympus compared to mega corporations like Panasonic or Sony which can manufacture all the parts they need.

But the TruepicV+ engine in the E5 developed by Olympus does a pretty good job dealing with the older sensor. Looks to me like a 1 stop ISO advantage compared to Pen cameras and a 2-stop advantage over the E3.

One can still wonder how much better it would be combined with a newer sensor. We'll probably find out with the rumored Pen successors in 2011.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:19 pm 
Thank you Gordon for your review on the newly announced Olympus E-5 I'm very looking forward for your detailed video review :)

@yinay

if look at this video I think you'll have some of your questions answered :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYuzuS8i0Vg&feature=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 am 

Welcome to the forums OlympusE520!

By your name, I can see that you own an E520, but we'll save that for a different thread!

This looks like a decent camera, Olympus is really picking up the pace!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi olympuse520, do you mean the start of this thread - that's not a review, it's just a press release from Olympus,

I do hope to review the camera in the future though,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 am 

More ISO tests from a Japanese website:

http://four-thirds.cn/forum/thread-162639-1-1.html

Anything at or below ISO 3200 looks perfectly usable. I wonder what kind of improvement you'd get if you ran the same files in Denoise or Noise Ninja.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 am 
@Jinay

What gives you the impression that they are using the sensor from the E-620? It's stated that they use the same sensor as in the EPL-1 with a new processing chip.

I have seen some very interesting high iso shots from the E-5 and even though it's not my type of camera (I don't need the weather sealing nor the fast phase AF for the additional weight and size), I think that Olympus has come a long way in terms of image quality.

As for the GH2 sensor:
Maybe Panasonic is not selling them to Olympus? Who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:34 pm 
Hi,

I was under the impression that the sensor was the same one as the E-620 since it has the same resolution and I was under the impression that Panasonic and Olympus had a deal with the sensor, whereby Panasonic would be the one manufacturing it. I guess I was wrong....

However, its interesting to know how Olympus has managed such image quality. Is it just the new processor, or something more?

P.S.: Thanks for the video!
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 pm 

I believe it's the same sensor as in the PEN cameras but with a modified image processor. I think Panasonic has Olympus over a barrel with the sensors. The latest Panasonic 4/3 camera has a top-of-the-line sensor whereas Olympus' flagship has to make do with last year's hand-me-down.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject: Olympus E-5
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 am 
Have you seen the pictures from the E-5?

I saw 4 - 40x30 in and they are great. Why?

Olympus is in a hole with a small sensor that creates more noise as you push the ISO up. The whole digital camera image processing is or we now can say WAS screwed up. We buy a great lens like the 12-60 or 50-200mm and then the AA filter Blurs it. Olympus removed the part of the AA filter that causes the image to be blurred and you get the benefit of your/mine great glass.

Panasonic will not sell the GH1 12 MP processor to Olympus it appears. So Olympus with the TruPic 5+ process the image pixel by pixel to help improve the image. The results are in the pictures. They may even be better if they used the GH1 sensor which is about the same as the Canon 7D. I await the resolution results and Gordon's review.

Many people appear to like the dynamic filter as do I. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm 

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26page%3D5
They are usually fast with their reviews and this time is no exception.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next