Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hi there :)...exactly two weeks ago I went to Brussels Airport. Had to wake up at 04.45 (AM, that is!) so I could pack my stuff, eat, and all that (which took longer than normally, as I was still in 'sleep-mode'). I arrived at 06.45 AM - so before sunrise!

I took some pictures (not worth looking at...as they were taken at ISO 800 they were a bit *cough* noisy...) before the big guys started coming in. Hope you like them - C&C would be much appreciated.

Pictures 1-18 were taken in RAW, 19-36 were taken in JPEG. I had taken about 310-315 pictures in RAW on my first CF card (San Disk 4 GB Ultra II, 15 MB/s), until I suddenly noticed, while looking through the viewfinder, the camera said 'FULL'. Never had this happen before - then again, I used to shoot mainly in JPEG, not in RAW. As it was still fairly early, I switched to JPEG (fine) for the rest of the day, as I had only 2 identical CF-cards with me :oops:. Note to self: buy a whole load of fast memory cards when you get a new Sony Alpha...(still lusting after the A7XX...or A77 ?).

I numbered them for easy reference...beware, these are just resized JPEGs (or converted RAWs) and don't show the quality of the originals. I did some very basic editing: cropped, adjusted contrast/saturation/vibrancy and sharpened them a bit in Aperture 2 :).

Here they are...

1)Image

2)Image

3)Image

4)Image

5)Image

6)Image

7)Image

8)Image

9)Image

10)Image

11)Image

12)Image

13)Image

14)Image

15)Image

16)Image

17)Image

18)Image

19)Image

20)Image

21)Image

22)Image

23)Image

24)Image

25)Image

26)Image

27)Image

28)Image

29)Image

30)Image

31)Image

32)Image

33)Image

34)Image

35)Image

36)Image

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:03 pm 
Hi Joris.

You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if you simply had given a link to the first image since it's much easier to use the Next/Previous buttons on the photobucket site to view 36 photos than to click on a thumbnail here, wait for it to load in another tab, close it and click on the next thumbnail to go through that another 35 times.

Alternatively you could have posted the images directly here in the thread. Since the originals on photobucket appear to be just at the maximum 1024 pixel width the forum rules allow it would have given us both the best and the easiest view. The slideshow on photobucket only shows them at 600x400.

Apart from that... nice plane pics. :)

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:20 pm 

Well, I actually thought about posting the images directly...but they were uploaded in 1024 x xxx pixels format. I checked the forum rules and up to two pictures may be shown at 1024 pixels (wide)...as soon as you want to show more than two, you've got to size down to 800 pixels...

I didn't want to bother with resizing through Photobucket nor exporting an 800-pixels version of all these images in Aperture :)...let alone uploading them again.

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:47 pm 

I think that since these are essentially similar shots and you're looking for C&C, you might get a better response if you chose maybe 3 of your favourites and enlarged them. I like #2 for example, because of the nice light and bit of condensation trail (?) from the wing. I think you had some really nice light for the first 10 or 12 shots.

I can spot at least half a dozen shots though which are what appear to be the same model aircraft in the same light from the same angle - only the livery is different.

As it stands it's more of an exercise in aircraft cataloging than photography.

So Joris, what are your 3 favourite images from the 300+ you shot?

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm 

Quite frankly, I just don't know which ones I should pick.

These were taken around the fence of runway 02 and 07R - exactly the opposite of what is considered standard procedure for departing and arriving aircraft. On the other main runway for arrivals (25L) you've got two spots to choose from and you can get different angles on them. Around 02 and 07R, only a single spot for each runway is usable. Unless you could get on the tarmac, taxiways or near the runways themselves, there are virtually no other possibilities to choose from - hence the very similar angle.

Edit: you may see similar aircraft, but a 737 and an A32S are very different animals...despite similar configuration (single aisle aircraft, twin-engined, etc).

My photos on Flickr...