Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Laptop upgrade help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:34 am 
Hi, Im looking to upgrade my macbook to 4gb of memory and was wondering why it costs twice as much to buy it from apple than a company like Crucial. Would there be any difference at all in the products?

Thanks, sorry I understand nothing about computers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 am 

Hi Jeremy,

Crucial are a well respected firm. Did you use the Crucial memory advisor tool on their web-site's front page? If your model is supported then at the top of the product page you should see the text "Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your ...". The only other question you need to ask is whether you are comfortable performing the upgrade yourself or if you have a friend or local repair shop who might do it for you.

By the way, if you do decide to buy from Crucial then, at no extra cost to yourself, you can help Gordon pay the bills here by starting your purchase by following the Crucial link on our affiliates page. :idea: Thanks. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am 
Thanks for the quick reply Bob!

Yes, the reason I suggested crucial was because I found it on the support us page.

I would be comfortable fitting it myself (I think). Ive checked it out and it doesnt look too hard (hopefully!)

Just looking at prices, apple charge twice as much for the same thing, and I was just wondering if this was because theirs was somehow better, or just because they are apple.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am 

"just because they are apple" - don't even go there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:59 am 
apple laptops don't offer anything extra compared to other brands. windows 7 is really as functional as the Snow Leopard.(provided that you must buy it 1st) & the laptops with win7 have better performances than apples,price-wise.
a lot of people say "apples are better for editing"...but you spend a fortune for a 2gb ram laptop & realise "hey! I can't do a thing with it"...big surprise. all the true editors use big LCD IPS screens coupled with 4-8gb ram computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:33 am 

"Because it's all about the experience"

Most people go to apple's site to upgrade, because they know apple makes it easy. Most of those people don't really look into other options, like ordering off-brand RAM, which means Apple is free to charge whatever they want.

If Crucial says it's compatible, I'd trust them. They are a well respected brand. As far as differences with Apple go: fat chance they are using the same RAM chips (Samsung probably). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm 
Thanks guys, Ill go with Crucial through this site :wink:

Also Razvan, I already have a mac so too late for that. It suits me to the ground and I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:50 pm 
I consider any RAM (or HDD) upgrade bought from the original manufacturer a rip off ESPECIALLY Apple. I used Corsair SO-DIMMS in my older Macbook pro and it runs fine. Macs run on the same memory as PCs so just make sure you get the correct spec for your version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:33 pm 
Thanks Graham, I thought this might be the case, so I'll go with Crucial I think