Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm 

Hi folks,

This might be an alternative to Adobe’s Premiere Pro, Apple’s Final Cut Pro, or Avid’s Media Composer. From the Grass Valley EDIUS 6 press release:
    Grass Valley Continues to Streamlines File-Based Workflows with the Latest Version of EDIUS Multi-Format Editing Software

Amsterdam, The Netherlands (IBC — Stand 1.D11), September 09, 2010 —
    Enhancing the industry's most comprehensive and powerful multi-format editing platform, Grass Valley™ today introduced EDIUS® 6, with expanded capabilities to help broadcasters, independent professional video editors, and prosumers continue to streamline their workflows with increased speed, wider format support, and improved system efficiency.

EDIUS 6 gives users the ability to work with any video standard up to 1080p50/60 or 4K digital cinema resolution. Also, all major codecs in use in the industry are supported natively, with no transcoding required even when different compression formats are mixed on the timeline. In addition users are able to preview effects in real time.

Leveraging a variety of automated features, EDIUS 6 allows editors to focus on being creative without having to wait for effects and transitions to be rendered. The EDIUS system’s renowned, mixed format and file wrapper/codec agnostic timeline has been enhanced in EDIUS 6 to include 1080p50/60, 10-bit support, with up to 4K resolution, and features the fastest native AVCHD editing in the industry. This includes the ability to edit video content captured with digital SLR cameras such as the Canon EOS. The recently introduced Canon XF (MPEG2 4:2:2) format is also supported.

EDIUS is well known for its superb proxy workflow. With EDIUS 6, Grass Valley has taken its proxy handling to new levels to deliver an even a more efficient, end-to-end digital workflow. Now users have the ability to use proxy clips from baseband-ingested video footage acquired via SDI. Editors can mix and match any camcorder proxy with any EDIUS proxy at any time during the edit, which gives the user the most flexible and unique way of working with proxy files and high-resolution pictures.

For prosumers, EDIUS 6 includes a proprietary AVCHD editing engine enabling real time, multi-stream editing of AVCHD compressed video without the need for any additional hardware. Full screen, VGA preview, including multicam selection, is also provided.

EDIUS 6 also extends its editing functionality towards post-production applications. Multicam editing is now expanded to16 iso camera streams, with a choice of several multi-viewer screen layouts. EDIUS 6 also boasts – video masking, and combined with the new track matte keyer can enable easy “key & fill” operation on the timeline. Add to this free shape, vector-based masking, and improved After Effects plug-in support, and EDIUS 6 is built to satisfy the requirements of even the most advanced editors.

“EDIUS 6 continues the Grass Valley tradition of delivering unmatched power for editing complex compression formats, but goes a step further to help users focus on the creative side of editing, without having to think about the technical side” said Jeff Rosica, Senior Vice President of Grass Valley. “A big part of EDIUS 6 is based on user requests for a variety of new features, making the EDIUS solution an even more valuable tool for the post-production community.”

For multi-system installation, EDIUS 6 can make most editing workgroup workflows more efficient as it supports a file-based environment with no transcoding and the timesaving ability to work with proxy files on a shared network.

More information on EDIUS 6 is available at the Grass Valley website at www.grassvalley.com/edius

Pricing and Availability

Grass Valley's EDIUS 6 software will begin shipping in October, with prices ranging from US$799 to $6,000 depending upon hardware configuration. Various hardware and turnkey package will also be available.
I hardly ever touch video so I've no way of knowing just how good (or bad) this software is but maybe if one qualifies for the entry level pricing ($799) it might be of interest to the advanced amateur or budding pro - the press release specifically mentions "prosumers". If the example of Edius 5 is followed once version 6 is released next month at least it should be possible to download a free 30 day trial. For a quick look at the user interface check out the EDIT ANYTHING PDF brochure.

The EDIUS 6 product page is here and includes access to some well crafted "Feature Preview" videos. As video from a number of DSLRs is now supported as well as more traditional sources I thought the announcement might be of interest.

If you've used Edius then please share your thoughts... 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:41 pm 
Among all the video editing solutions I've tried, Edius has to be the easiest and most stable one I've used.
It's not the most sophisticated program out there and its lacking a good few features, but it supports most formats and unless you're doing something really strange (which I have done) it's rather quite straight forward and easy to use.
Imho it's much easier to get to grips with than Adobe and Sony's software and it's much more logical to use. Fingers cross that they add some better and more useful effects and transitions in the new version as well as a better text/subtitles add-on and voice over recorder, as those parts are a bit lacking.

Most video editing software is a pita to use imho as you'd pretty much have to go on a course to learn how to use the software. Even some of the more advanced consumer versions are utter crap and crash randomly when editing HD video. I've yet to have Edius crash on me, although it can slow down at times, but it will always get back to normal instead of falling over. I just don't understand why video editing software must have such complex and difficult to figure out UI's, should this stuff be pretty straightforward and easy to use by now?