Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filters - too old?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:38 am 
I am in the process of buying a new SLR which I have posted my questions and queries regarding in another section of this forum.

One question which I do have, is about filters. I have an old Nikon F55 (35mm) SLR which has some filters on it when I brought it way back in 2003. I will find out what brand/make/model etc they are for you, but can these be used on my new SLR I buy? Or has technology moved on from 2003 that I am better to buy some new ones. I have one filter on my 18-55mm and another on my 80-300mm lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:12 am 

It depends.
First, you have to have the right filter thread diameter.
Second, if the old filters served you well in the past there is no problem with using them on the new lens
Some filters have various coatings and those may be damaged during cleaning. It's a good idea to inspect them closely.
IQ is an issue with very bad or cheap filters, flares is the most obvious of them. Try do produce flares with your lens (street lamps at night and so on) and shoot the same picture with and without filter. Flares and artifacts added by the filter have to be minimal.
I hope that helps.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:41 am 
Right wondered if someone could tell me what I have here and if they are any good. Both in near new condition.

Hoya 58mm Skylight
Hoya 62mm PL-CIR

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:24 pm 
Skylight filters are colour correction filters. Some people use them as lens protection filters as they don't do a great deal but basically they slightly warm up the image. I don't use protection filters myself as it's one more surface to keep free of dust and marks and I just look after my lenses :)

PL-CIR is a circular polarising filter. Polarising filters do a few different things. One of the effects of a polarising filter is it'll make skies much bluer (in the right conditions.. ie. when it's sunny and the sky is blue). Also reduces reflections in water. Excepting polarisers, pretty much the effect of most filters can be replicated in Photoshop or Lightroom. But the effect of polarisers definitely can't be replicated in Photoshop (except making the sky bluer, perhaps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Thanks Welly, are they worth anything or just throw them in the bin? Yeah the 58mm was on my old Nikon55 lens (18-55) and the 62mm was on my telephoto lens (70-300mm)

Bin or Trade Me?

Would they fit on newer cameras like Canon 550D, A55 or Nikon D3100?

Last edited by @idan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 am 
Hi Aidan,

the filters should fit newer lenses just fine (the camera itself is immaterial in the respect). I don't believe there has been any changes in recent memory - they are all screw-in filters and if the diameter is the same, they should fit.

In your shoes, I'd definitely try them out before getting rid of them. If they work for you, keep them.

Sure, you can spend $300 on a super-thin filter with the most advanced coating, instead. But that's a trade-off you have to make.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:18 am 
Aidan Hill wrote:
Thanks Welly, are they worth anything or just throw them in the bin? Yeah the 58mm was on my old Nikon55 lens (18-55) and the 62mm was on my telephoto lens (70-300mm)

Bin or Trade Me?

Would they fit on newer cameras like Canon 550D, A55 or Nikon D3100?

The circular polariser is definitely worth hanging onto. They're pretty handy in the summer to get nice rich blues in the sky. The skylight filter, well it's up to you really. I've got a ton of them kicking around that I've been given or that came with lenses I've bought and I just don't use them but you might want to leave one on your lens "just in case".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:21 am 
And be careful trying them on newer lenses,..don't force them,..even though they are same size,...thread pitch could be different.

Doubt it,..just sayin'...

Good Luck! :wink: 8)