Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm 
I've having some problems on photographing myself (and my company) without needing to ask for help around and don't like much giving my cam away randomly. Also eventually need to do still photos specially in the night that my stability doesn't let me...

I would like to have a Tripod to do this job for me eventually but as some people said I don't want a ultrabig tripod that at last gets forgiven any around the house, and possibly a light tripod maybe carbon, that fits into my bag Lowepro Slingshot AW200 (is pretty small in terms of space)

First sight around I've found tripod Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini, that costs around $100

Also been considering theGorilla Pod SLR Zoom with a Joby Ball Head around $70...

I'm into up to $150 max for this specs... anything better around there?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, interesting question. Most truly mini tripids are cheap models which are pretty basic, so it's interesting to see if there's a higher-end option...

I can only speak for the gorillapod - it's great so long as either there's somewhere to attach it, or if the existing leg height is sufficient. But beware the plate is very rarely level, so you'll need to level the camera with the head. I enjoy using mine, but the bigger models designed to handle bigger loads are longer than you think in your bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm 

I had a gorillapod SLR zoom but sold it as I found it was too tricky to get level and too fussy to get it to stand upright in the first place. I recently bought an Induro AKB1 and have found it light enough to carry anywhere and much easier to use although it is a full size tripod...

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 pm 
I think you're going to struggle to find a tripod that a. will be small and light and b. will support your D90 for $150. For $150, you'll have to accept big and heavy (and not that good) or small and light and unstable for your D90 (and not that good either). Unfortunately tripods are not an area that you can really skimp on.

I have this tripod: http://www.sliktripod.co.uk/pages/compact2.html which I used with a compact camera for a while. It was fine for that and I have used my old D90 and new D700 with it. It's fine in the right conditions, ie. indoors where there's no wind, but I wouldn't consider using it outside unless I wanted blurry photos.

Anyway, point being is you'll either spend more money (save up!) to get something that will do it's job or waste your money on unsuitable equipment. Your choice really. I know what I would do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
Thanks for the ideas

About

Quote:
spend more money (save up!) to get something that will do it's job or waste your money on unsuitable equipment

Thing is, that for me would be a waste of money buying a whole size tripod, since I would never use it, except maybe the firsts months or eventually just when the planets line up with the sun, just because I'm not into carrying an independent tripod that cannot put on my bag. I'm not really into making this type of still photos, just need the tripod for certain situations like, night landscape photos (with good environment, not wind or strange weathers), and as said, photos of myself putting my cam with the tripod on top of somewhere to fit the height (despite it will limit my action range but I'm not a fan of making myself photos just eventually when situation arises). I have to be sincere, I tried doing the photo just by focusing the cam in top of something but it is really impossible to make it focus exactly where I want.

Yesterday I saw the Gorilla pod SLR Zoom in the market and it totally fits my bag since is just thin enough, despite a little bit long. But for example basic tripods unless they have really compact legs like Mini Maxi from Velbon, they have despite folded, very big bodies...

Maybe I would consider spending >$200 if I could find a marvellous tripod with this specs. But I need to fit on this: small, lightweight, that fits on my bag, just maximum mobility that I could carry it just all the time with me, just always I carry the cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
SirLouen wrote:
Thanks for the ideas

About

Quote:
spend more money (save up!) to get something that will do it's job or waste your money on unsuitable equipment

Thing is, that for me would be a waste of money buying a whole size tripod, since I would never use it, except maybe the firsts months or eventually just when the planets line up with the sun, just because I'm not into carrying an independent tripod that cannot put on my bag. I'm not really into making this type of still photos, just need the tripod for certain situations like, night landscape photos (with good environment, not wind or strange weathers), and as said, photos of myself putting my cam with the tripod on top of somewhere to fit the height (despite it will limit my action range but I'm not a fan of making myself photos just eventually when situation arises). I have to be sincere, I tried doing the photo just by focusing the cam in top of something but it is really impossible to make it focus exactly where I want.

Yesterday I saw the Gorilla pod SLR Zoom in the market and it totally fits my bag since is just thin enough, despite a little bit long. But for example basic tripods unless they have really compact legs like Mini Maxi from Velbon, they have despite folded, very big bodies...

Maybe I would consider spending >$200 if I could find a marvellous tripod with this specs. But I need to fit on this: small, lightweight, that fits on my bag, just maximum mobility that I could carry it just all the time with me, just always I carry the cam.

You can get travel tripods which fold up tiny, for example the Gitzo GT1541 which is a carbon fibre tripod, weighs less than a kg and folds up to 41cm.

http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/tripods ... de=GT1541T

It's more than $200 though :) It's in the $500 range so quite a bit over your budget. The other option is getting a beanbag and using a wall or something else to prop your camera on. I seriously would reconsider spending $150 on a tripod as it's $150 wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 pm 
SirLouen wrote:
Thanks for the ideas

Oh, just a note about the gorilla pod SLR zoom. If you use that with your D90 and the 70-200 you've mentioned you plan to buy, it won't support that combination. It'll just flop over. I had a similar set up (D70 and 80-200) and the gorilla pod just wouldn't hold it upright at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:13 pm 
Well I'm not planning to buy a Gorillapod SLR-Zoom, I just put this in the options.

By the way, in this case I could just use the gorillapod as a mini 3-leg monopod to gain on stability.

I've also read great reviews of this one Slik Mini Pro V

Is interesting to believe that mini pods are actually pretty cheap. Velbon Mini Maxi was actually pretty big compared and also expensive. Also I find that compared all table top pods are even cheaper than Gorillapod

Just comparing with top brands, Manfrotto 709B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:56 am 
If you want a truly compact tripod you could try a Bilora telescopic tripod. Although the company still exists these tripods are not produced anymore. You can only find them second hand. They're more or less 'Vintage'. They are being sold for very modest prices.

They won't offer the greatest stability of course but if they may suffice in enough situations you could always buy one in addition to a larger but more stable one. If you go on a trip where you know you won't need more than this thing its modest size will definitely be a plus.

Here's a photo of a model I have, although mine (Bilora 2017) doesn't have the leather case any more. That one looks in very good condition but it's an old eBay item that was sold in June. This one still has three days to go but I think it's a longer model. And this will tell you what's on offer on eBay at any time.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 am 

When traveling I use my Gorilla pod SLR Zoom almost exclusively. I find the way to keeping it level is buying a good head with it. I use the Manfrotto 484 with mine. My 7D has the electronic level to help here, but those cheap hot shoe bubble levels got me by when I was using my 350D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm 
Definitely after ready multiple reviews the gorillapod SLR-zoom is the highest-end tripod for maximum mobility, plus a good head.

I was planning to go with the BH-1 from gorillapod in the offer pack, but maybe I will consider any other head that can step me a level on terms of stability.

I've been looking in a shop the manfrotto's 494 thing is... how do I know if it may fit the gorillapod this particular ballhead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 pm 

I have the gorillapod SLR-zoom with a Manfrotto 494RC2 head and it fits well. I seem to remember I had to buy a bigger screw thread to link the tripod to the head - that could be just because I lost the one that came with the gorrillapod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 pm 
from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-494RC ... B002N5CV8Y

Quote:
I use the 494 RC2 with a Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom and Canon EOS 450D and whilst the 494 appears a little over-engineered for the job, it works flawlessly. The Friction Control is a real boon, allowing simple and accurate positioning without impeding smooth movement, and the lock-lever is so easy to use with the ability to rotate the lever independently of the locking mechanism so that you can align the lever to your preference. The quality of the Quick Release has also blown me away, it's cast metal and very strong, and whilst the locking safety pin takes some getting used to, in no time securely mounting and dismounting the camera becomes second nature. The 494 is a quality piece of engineering and is in my opinion definitely worth the premium over the entry-level basic ball-heads available from the likes of HAMA.

Definitely you lost it :)

EDIT: Finally I've found an offer on a Manfrotto 496 and I will end buying it. Thing is that 494 only supports 4 Kgs, and since this is a multipurpouse ball head, if I buy a monopod in the near future 4kgs for my D90 + tele like the Sigma I'm saving for is not enought. And worst enought 498 cost like x2 the cost of 496 > $150 (more than a tripod itself!) just for those 8kg support. But If at some point I had to carry a 8kg set... then I will be reallly "unhappy" with my style life :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:09 am 
I have no experience with this model, but how about something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170547809350&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1658wt_1199

It's 36cm high when folded so it will fit a normal haversack, and weighs less than a kilo. It's not expensive either so you can leave it at home and only use it when you're going out at night only. So won't be spending too much money for occasional use this way.

Overall, I think you have to strike a balance between price, weight and overall stability. Unfortunately it's not easy to find something with everything you want (at the price you want).

I personally have a Manfrotto 7321 which is longer and heavier. This in-turn results in better stability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 am 
just saw this which is even smaller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030ICTOE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1NHXC1VABSEPPQPE65JM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128133&pf_rd_i=468294