Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 pm 

Now someone had to start this one.
Wonder why it took so long :roll:

Tried today to capture the glow of the low morning sun on these roses. Hope I succeeded:

#1:

#2:

#3:

All shot with micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 VR at f/5.6 on D300.

Tell me, which one you like most!

And please: Share your best rose-shot here for the definitive thread on these lovely flowers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:26 am 
Love the third one...
the second feels like it's upside down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:35 am 

Thanks for the feedback!
But really: They are not always looking up to the sky. So what you see here was the real-life orientation of the blossom.
Btw: someone else suggested the light was too harsh. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 pm 
Hey Thomas, the first rose is not the best of the three, but the other 2 are really nice I don't find the light at all too harsh, I like the effect or to think the light is going threw the rose.

About the rose looking down, it feels wrong (upside down) I'm just saying for some might think that.

For macro photography roses are not easy, it's a big flower (yes not all roses are big) and getting the correct focusing for the entire rose (will depend on the lens) what do you think? I'm still new to photography, I can only get better, I'm still struggling with manual settings (I still prefer A mode) 2 years ago I was shooting auto.

Have a great day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:39 pm 
Over two years ago I posted some photos of roses on the second page in my macro thread

It was interesting to see the difference between lighting conditions on an overcast and a sunny day.

Overcast:

1/60 - f/8 AP- ISO 200

The same rose I had shot two days earlier in sunny weather. The difference is quite dramatic. I had the sun in my back and in order to shoot it from the same angle I had to cover it with my shadow. But even then the much higher contrast creates a very different photo. The shutter speed was the same as two days earlier but the ISO was 64 instead of 200 so there was almost four times more light. And it shows. I shot it from slightly further back that time.

1/58 - f/8 AP- ISO 64

Overcast again. Lovely creamy colours.

1/52 - f/8 AP- ISO 200

I also wanted to shoot it in its entirety and wanted to isolate it as much as possible from the tree in the background so I went right to the other end of the aperture scale and set it to f/3.5. The soft light is very flattering again and the contrast against the dark background makes it really stand out. This photo looks best also against a black background but I cannot change the colour of the forum page. This photo is the only one that I slightly cropped before I resized it.

1/280 - f/3.5 AP- ISO 200

Again two days later in sunny conditions. Not covered by shadow this time. Again quite a different picture. In one of the shots this little insect very helpfully decided to pose for me for an instant. So I chose this one.

Surprisingly enough the live histogram told me that no exposure compensation was necessary. The lightest parts were a safe distance away from the edges of the histogram. All photos were shot at EV 0.

1/1400 - f/3.5 AP- ISO 64

Grey overcast days may look very dreary but they can offer a very flattering light. No harsh contrasts and in these photos it allowed for a beautifully subtle tonal range. The pale light of that grey day made for some rather nice pictures.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:06 pm 

Very interesting comparison of different lighting conditions, Ben.
And very nice shots, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:56 pm 
Great thread to start there Thomas!

I'm not botanist, but I know that there are so many types of roses that we should not run out of subjects anytime soon..lol.

Some very vibrant and "juicy" shots Thomas. The highlights ares very well controlled and the bokeh very creamy!

Love those pastels you've captured there Cam! Great colors!

Here's a couple I took some time ago - I think they are roses..lol. Used the Raynox DCR-150 on my 55-200mm AF-S VR.
(Nikon D40, F6.3, ISO400, -0.7 exposure bias, flash used.)

(Nikon D40, F5, ISO200, 1/2000sec, -0.7 exposure bias, no flash)

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:47 pm 

Never-ending beauty!

Here's another one from today, shot with Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR with Canon 500D close-up-filter reverse-mounted:

Shot at 200mm, f/11, 1/250 sec, ISO 250, slight 16:10 crop plus negative vignetting (white-out).
And before anybody asks: There is no clipping whatsoever in any channel.

The light was more "forgiving" than with the morning-light shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 am 
Hello all,

I recently picked up the nikkor 50mm 1.8d for my D5000. even though I have to manual focus, its an awesome lens!! Here are some shots I did indoors of some roses. I'm still new to the whole DOF and SLR thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 pm 
#2&#3 amazing, I tried to smell my screen they are that good.

Last 2 photos of red roses, fantastic colours and clarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:48 pm 

Scanning through my rose-shots I found these beauties, processed them a little, and thought I'd present them here. Hope you enjoy!

Rose 26468 by Thomas, on Flickr

Rose 26462 by Thomas, on Flickr

Rose 26449 by Thomas, on Flickr

All were captured with the Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII with Canon 500D close-up filter (reverse-mounted)

Post subject: The Lady's Blush
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:11 pm 

A lovely pastel-coloured rose with a delicate scent. I wanted to show the flower through its stages and was lucky enough to find these three on the one bush. The bush itself is shown at the end.

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6201099962_f1dc834377_b.jpg[/img]
Rosa Lady's Blush bud 1oct2011 by warth man, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/6201099122_40d9f2f696_b.jpg[/img]
Rosa Lady's Blush opening 1oct2011 by warth man, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6201097872_4ec01b098c_b.jpg[/img]
Rosa Lady's Blush fully open 1oct2011 by warth man, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/6200584661_ce5a4ed97e_b.jpg[/img]
Rosa The Lady's Blush 1oct2011 by warth man, on Flickr[/img]

Hope you like them!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:16 pm 

Close-up rather than micro. This is The Alexandra Rose and has probably become my favourite. Glowing colours; scented; hardy - so far, helped by being a single flower so not battered as much by rain.

ImageThe Alexandra Rose by warth man, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 and 70-300mm VR. Range approximately 12 feet / 4 metres.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:43 am 

Imagenola's favourite by rliubinskas, on Flickr

again just experimenting this one shot on Canon 500D with the ef 50 mm lens 1/60 exp time f4 iso250
let me know if I'm doing this correctly please

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:20 pm 

Your pic looks fine magic and it's a nice one, so no surprise that it's Nola's favourite. You can vary the size shown here by selection on flickr - just follow the max guideline for cameralabs. Welcome to the forum!