Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 pm 
Hi,

I have been reading about image editing software, and I found that though there were many options for softwares, people usually have guides only about Photoshop.

Adobe seems to have launched Photoshop elements, a stripped down version of photoshop with a more user friendly interface.

Does anyone here use it? Is Photoshop mandatory, or will photoshop elements do? Or is there any other software which is complete with a comprehensive user guide available?

Thanks,
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 pm 
IMHO only fully fledged professional photographers and graphic designers need Photoshop and even then I doubt if most of them use all the facilities it offers. Elements is fine and you can do everything you need with it. There are other alternatives like Ulead Video Studio and even some free web ones like Picasa which although very basic offers some editing functions. I would suggest you try Picasa and if you are not happy with it get Elements or one of the similarly priced alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:21 am 

I guess the thing is, how big and what sort of editing do you think you want to do?

I use Elements 7, not even the latest version. It does 95% of my general editing needs, and use the much older Paint Shop Pro 7 for some functions. The later versions might be worth looking at but I never bothered as they keep changing the interface between versions. Did try Photoshop CS5, but the extra functionality wasn't worth the significant increase in cost to me at this time.

You can get Adobe software on a time limited trial, so you can give it a try first.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:43 am 

I think Dave’s comments are about right on pro’s using all the functions. It depends on where you’re at with photography. In the last 6 months I started using elements 8 and as an amateur, at the moment I think it has more features than I will ever use.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 am 

Photoshop has many more functions than I never knew I didn't need and is very expensive and can be a resource hog.

PS Elements has many more functions than I never knew I didn't need but is a fraction of the price and runs on my old laptop.

I will probably move to Lightroom when I get a new computer though.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 pm 
I've tried several photo editing soft...
BTW photoshop element 9 is just around the corner,
you can try photoshop element 8 (free trial)
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/inde ... &loc=en_us

I use iphoto it's awesome for what I need (but no pano stitching)
:evil:
If you're new to the DSLR photo world, start with PSe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
I just saw the post date 25th feb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:56 pm 
lowliferider wrote:
I use iphoto it's awesome for what I need (but no pano stitching)
:evil:

If you're looking for panorama stitching software you should definitely take a look at the free :) Microsoft ICE software.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 am 
I got an iMAC (windows are forbidden) I left windows and I'm sooooo happy with apple. I'm certain aperture (apple) will have a pano plugin soon.