Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: American Le Mans
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:40 am 
The American Le Mans series was at my local track (Road America) this month and I was able to get out and take some photos. First time "panning" and shooting such a fast subject. Lots of fun though, here are some of the results. C&C welcome, I can use all the advice I can get! -Allan

IMG_2117ps by supermotoxray, on Flickr

IMG_2147ps by supermotoxray, on Flickr

IMG_2009ps by supermotoxray, on Flickr

IMG_1951ps by supermotoxray, on Flickr

IMG_2030ps by supermotoxray, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Nice panning and great shots!

Could you give us some hints and tips of what settings and techniques worked well for you? Also what lenses, positions etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:10 pm 
I know this great link for tips
http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... hoto.shtml

Great shots Allan the panning are superb. my favorite would be the first photo, too bad it's not a Porsche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:11 pm 

The panning turned out great! I like them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 am 

Awesome panning. My favourite is actually the non-panning one of the m3 though but thats probably just because I am BMW mad...

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 am 

+1 to the above

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:21 pm 
Superb job!

I got a really hard time doing that on the 18-55 mm lens, and from a hundred I usually got one that was not even remotely as sharp as your ones. I guess it's difficult to do with such a short focal length as the thing goes just too fast. Also the 18-55 has a rather slow focusing speed, so I'm gearing up either for the 55-200, 70-300 or 55-300mm new lens.

Any experience in panning cars with 18-55 mm lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 pm 
Wow they look great! I have the same questions as Gordon. Please do share.... Camera, lense, technique, tips?!?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:17 am 
Thank you all for the positve feedback! All of these shots where done with a Canon Rebel XSi/450D and my Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. PP was done with Adobe Photoshop elements (croping/light/color adjustments). To be honest I watched the video workshop on www.dslrtips.com in the morning before I drove down to the track. I started with a shutter speed of 1/60 and I found it to slow so switched to 1/80 and seemed to do the trick. I set my camera to shoot continuously and just tried to keep pace with the car as it drove past. I got lucky on the picture of the Ferrari, there was a hill to the left so I just had to listen and try to time it right. I alway's tried to find somthing to "lean" on a bit to keep steady. If you click on the pics it'll take you to my Flickr page, there you can look at the EXIF to get all the exposure details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 am 
So you can thank Gordon for the great tut. I've noticed it depends on how close and how fast he cars are, the lighting too... Great shots supermotoxray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 pm 
So I discussed the thing with a friend of mine that's been shooting motorsport events for quite a few years now and here's what he's got to tell:

To get decent panning, you have to:
1. get a long lens - something from 100mm up should do. If you only have something like 18-55, then sorry, but it's going to be very difficult unless the cars go really slow.
2. try to close the aperture a bit (when it's bright and sunny, then it's not a problem, aperture priority will do it on its own). It should help with getting the whole car in focus, though you should not rely on it too much and expect it to be that much helpful.
3. instead of going for continuous shooting, try to have 2 or 3 shots, focusing between the shots themselves (or if you have a good AF performance, just stick to continuous AF and it should do with continuous shooting).
4. be patient and try until it works good for you :) I've had at least 200 or 300 attempts and never got anything really good.

I will try it this week during a rallycross event in Poland :] Hopefully there's something to share with you after the weekend:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:48 pm 
Excellent shots! Rich in colors & well focused