Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm 

Even though I've been taking photos for years, I'm what you'd call a beginner in that I don't know what I should about things like aperture and shutter speed. I've always taken very nice photos with the P&S cameras I've owned. My favorite being my Sony DSC-F828. The only problem I've had with that camera was the weight and bulk of it while traveling.
I figured my next step after that one would be a DSLR, but the interchangable lens micro 4/3s called out to me, and after reading the reviews I could find, I went with the E-PL1.
Now it's time for me to start using the camera, and so far I'm finding my photos to be not as crisp and sharp as those I take with my F-828. Is this a matter of me not relying on the iAuto and playing around with the camera a lot more, or is there something I am missing?
Are there other E-PL1 users out there that can point me in the right direction? (sorry to sound like such a total newbie here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mailgirl333, welcome on-board!

To properly diagnose the problems, we really need to see some example photos - could you upload them to somewhere like flickr and link to them here so we can see?

It might be a focus problem, or too long an exposure... the one thing to be aware of is the E-PL1, like a DSLR, has a much smaller depth of field than a typical compact. This means you'll be able to blur backgrounds more easily on portraits and close-up shots, but it also means it's less forgiving on focusing errors.

If the exposure and focus are ok, then it may simply be an image processing style. The E-PL1 may not deliver images that are as vibrant or sharp as your F828 using the default settings. So if that's the case, try experimenting with other Picture Modes - try Vivid instead of Natural - assuming they're the same settings on the E-PL1 as they are on the E-P2 I have in front of me!

But great choice on your new camera - you'll love it once you've got it setup the way you want it and the Olympus members here will be a great help...

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 pm 

Gordon, I'm working on that "trial and error" a bit before I post a few examples on Flickr. Maybe it was silly of me to expect wonderful photos right out of the box? I feel like I should put a little more effort into figuring this out before I run to everyone here for more detailed advice.
I usually take photos with the F828 (and my little Canon ELPH SD1100 IS) and am pleased with the results right away. I guess my reason for posting so early is that I expected better results using "iAUTO" and could learn the make changes from that point, not right from the start.
(this is good, though, because it will break me out of my P&S rut. I may have to actually think and learn.) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am 

Sometimes the iAuto modes aren't the best route to go. I think the Aperture Priority mode might turn out to be the easiest mode to use when getting into photography. Gordon has a great video on using Aperture Priority mode @ dslrtrips.com