Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VG-B50AM?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:18 pm 

Hello forum! First post here so I hope I'll do it right ;)

I'm Marcus from Sweden and I'm using a Sony A550 and I've been thinking of a battery grip for some time now. I can't really decide whether I should go with the original or get a aftermarket grip (MeiKe).

One thing that makes the decision harder is that I can't find the grip in any store so I can't test it out and there are like 2 - 3 videos on youtube with the grip and those are like 2 minutes so they don't give me any facts that I didn't already knew...

So I've been searching the internet with my torch for people who can tell me the difference in quality, if it's worth and such because atm I'm kinda disappointed with the grip on my A550. I believe that it feels plastic and small (Got big hands...) and hopefully a battery grip will change this.

Can anyone please help me with collecting reviews and such because I believe the VG-B50AM is like a ninja...

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:40 am 

Just personally I'd always stick to an original grip - same goes for batteries...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 pm 

Yeah sure, I like original. The thing is that in Sweden, a VG-B50AM is 230€ while the aftermarket is 69€.

The battery grip f.e EOS 7D is about 170€. The 7D is a more advanced camera than the A550 and more "pro" but yet the battery grip is 60€ is cheaper...

I'm just like... why spend ALOT of money (WHY does Sony price it so damn high?) for an original where I don't like the way it feels (I don't like the A550 grip...) when a Canon user can get the original grip 60€ cheaper and also a better grip.

Way to go Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 pm 

Get a new Canon camera, if that's want you wanted to hear.
Different grip different hand, different opinion... but for the price
I really don't know, maybe the cost of production.

BTW welcome to the forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:43 pm 

Haha, thanks man. I'm really sorry that my first appearance is like this old grumpy dude which just complains...

It's just that Sony makes me really frustrated very often... :]

Althogh I do not have the economy nor the time to switch brand atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:27 pm 

100% agree on the grip sucking.
I love the cannon/nikon grips, they feel like they're apart of the camera and not an add-on