Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:10 pm 
I have been reading a little bit about a technique that can be used to focus different parts of a frame and would like to learn a little bit more about it.

I read that to get different parts of a photo in focus you can half press the shutter release button while the item you want to focus on is in the centre and then move the frame so that item is in a different part of the frame.

I have had a little play with idea on my camera and it seems to work with close up shots but i havent yet had a good test around the idea.

Do you use this technique often and is it affective? are there set circumstances that this is most usefull in or does it work with all types of shots including landscapes where there may be a building in the frame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Toby, the half-press to lock the focus is one of the most useful lessons to learn with any camera - it also works with compacts.

So point at the subject, half press to lock the focus, then with the button still half-pressed, recompose, then press fully down to take the shot.

We do have a workshop for this planned in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:35 am 
I think it when doing this it I use it most when doing the rule of 3rds because when you put your main subject off to the side most of the time it will focus of too something in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:48 am 
I use it all the time with spot metering, it's a great tool -- remember to set auto foucs to AF-S, not AF-C (AF-C will over ride this feature and focus continually)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:57 am 
Use the AF-Lock if you want to use it with continuous AF.