Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buying a camera but ...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:47 am 

Hello guys :)

I decide to get a new camera for the next week but I don't know which camera I should buy . I want to shot a picture with a great quality , exellent focus look and many features ..
I went to more than 5 different countries last two years ( India , Sri lanka , Thailand .... ) to take some great nature shots . And my camera was Sony DSC-N1 , it wasn't given me enough results , " I want better " . I'm thinking to get a camera from Canon , what do you think ?
One of my friends told me to get G9 , but he said I must get it with some accessories such as " Lens converters , Speedlites and .. "
I just need help for which camera I should buy and the accessories I should get .
And thanks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am 

Hi 3abad

You really need to be a bit more precise about what you mean when you say "I want better". For instance, what was "not good" with your Sony? The shots you took in the dark? The noise from high ISO? The contrast? The lack of manual control? the speed at which the camera operates, ie auto-focus?...There are too many variables, of which you don't speak about, in order for someone to give you a relevant advise. You need to be more precise.

One thing that can be said, however, is that you will not be satisfied with a G9.
99.9% of point&shoot cameras - including the Sony and the G9 - share a similar size sensor, which is smaller than a digital SLR. With a smaller sensor comes inherent image quality restrictions, especially when shooting at high ISO. And, unfortunately, the trend for manufacturers is to make compact cameras that are capable of very high ISO, at the (very) detriment of picture quality, because of that smaller sensor, as mentioned earlier.

Probably, the only way you will be able to get "better" quality pictures - at least from a technical perspective and not a creative one - is for you to get a digital SLR. They have larger sensors, are quicker to operate, and have more control than a compact camera.

To start with, you should read a few articles on this website, first of which should be at the beginning of this thread "Should you buy a DSLR or Compact"? Then, you can go to the reviews section and have a read and look at the reviews of various compacts and digital SLRs.

Then, if you decide to get into DSLR, you will have some thinking to do. What is your budget? What interests you? So that you can make an informed decision about which lenses to get. Which features appeal to you, etc.

However, whatever you decide, you should wait, if you can, until the forthcoming photographic show, due very soon, and which will see, no doubt, many new releases in both compacts and DSLR. Unfortunately, choosing a digital camera - if you're a bit more ambitious about your results and don't jump into the first digital compact - demands a bit more thought and time. But if you put some effort into it, you probably will come out at the end with something that will be highly satisfying to you.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi 3abad,

Once you add the flash and conversion lenses to the G9 it ends up the same size as a DSLR anyway, which negates the the only advantage that it had(size and weight). So, like Ant1 said, how about a DSLR? It would fulfill your requirements of great image quality, better focusing and a good feature set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm 

Yes but the megapixels of G9 is ( 12.1 millions )
I can't find DSLR higher than 10 migapixels !
If there is ... Link me to one , please .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:00 pm 

3abad in todays digital camera world, the megapixel are not important at all. Cameras like the Canon 1ds mark III (I THINK not sure if the name is right, not sure if thats the cam that takes 10fps) can take something like 20 megapixel. But like I said the MP means nothing. You need to look sensor size, a lot of these compact cameras have small sensors in them and they are really dodgy. To me it really sounds like you are after a DSLR, I think something like the canon 400D but I prefer canon over nikon. I find a big issue in compact cameras is noise.

But im sure other people are going to give a lot better info than what I just gave you, I'm a noob. Don't even own a DSLR just read a lot.

But when looking at compact cameras look at the sensor size then the megapixels because thats what get's alot of people, they walk into a shop WOW 10 megapixels gotta have that. Any good luck....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm 

Most new DSLRs are 10mp and the extra 2 you get on the G9 will not give you a significant increase in image quality or image size. But if you do want more than 10...

Nikon D300, 12mp
Sony A700, 12mp
Canon 5D, 12mp
Canon 1ds MkIII, 21mp
Nikon D3, 12mp

Just to name a few of the more recent ones, got a bit carried away with the last two. All of these would cost significantly more than the G9. If you're willing to wait a while more, there's bound to be a few more 12mp models announced at the PMA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:09 pm 

Hi 3abad,

Don't get too hung up about the difference between 10 and 12 megapixels. The difference in linear resolution is only about 10%.

The G9 is arguably best in class amongst the compacts at the moment unless you need a wider field of view. I suggest that most are very happy using it without ancillary lenses and external flash units. However, questions have been raised in your mind so now might be a good time to take a deep breath and seriously re-evaluate what you want from your new camera.

Have another careful read of Gordon's feature Should you buy a DSLR or a Compact?. Don't miss the link to page 2 at the bottom of the page.

If you are still unsure then have a look at the reviews of the models in Gordon's various Buyer's Guides (Compact, Super-zoom and Budget DSLR) and try to imagine yourself carrying such cameras around and using them.

Final piece of advice is take your time. PMA doesn't get going until the end of the month and unless you are desperate to buy now it would make so much sense to wait and see what new kit is announced.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm 

Hi 3abad, I to was looking into buying a Canon G9, I also own a Canon powershot S50 which when it came out was one of the highest pixels a compact camera had. (5 MP) Even though this is a great little camera it cannot do the type of work that a Digital SLR will do.

This G9 has a very good spec and I was nearly drawn to it, until I checked out the reviews and all of the photo's taken by Digital SLR cameras.

I know about your frustration about buying a camera, it is never easy.

But you say in your post that you would like quality and if that is so then go down the Digital SLR route, I am sure you will not be disapointed.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm 

DSLRs .... which one ? :( I don't have any idea which one is good .
If you can help with some informations :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:21 pm 

3abad wrote:
DSLRs .... which one ? :( I don't have any idea which one is good .
If you can help with some informations :?

Could I turn your question around and ask what it is that you want to know that isn't covered in Gordon's DSLR reviews? If you are unsure how to use the cameras reviewed to achieve the effects you want then have a browse through some of the workshops over at our sister site DSLR Tips and then, maybe, have another look at the reviews. :idea:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, to find out the pros and cons of a DSLR versus something like a G9, check this article:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

And if you then decide you definitely want an affordable DSLR, check our budget DSLR Buyers Guide here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Gordon