Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:18 am 
Grabbed the F1.8 AF-D for it's price vs. performance characteristics.

Having shot with F1.4, I've found that I rarely have need for such a shallow depth-of-field. For portraiture - which is my primary interest - that is too shallow.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:33 am 
Quote:
Having shot with F1.4, I've found that I rarely have need for such a shallow depth-of-field. For portraiture - which is my primary interest - that is too shallow.

I do a regular monthly photo shoot in a bar which has terrible, terrible light (and not much of that light either) so shooting at f1.4 has been pretty essential (I've been borrowing my boss's lens) to get a reasonable shutter speed. And even then I've been on the brink or 1/20th - 1/40th second with it. Still, got my D700 now so at least I can shoot at 3200 or even 6400 iso without much of a worry. Good old Nikon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:56 am 
Yeah Welly,

sometimes you have little choice in the matter..lol. It can just work, at some distance, with my 85mm F1.4. The longer the lens, the wider the DOF is and the farther away from the subject, the wider the DOF is too. This does allow for a reasonable portrait @ F1.4 with a little planning.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 am 
When I used a Sony dslr I had a minolta f/1.7, beautiful lens, really tough and razor sharp for a 20yr old+ lens. That was the only thing I missed about the Sony, and i was wary of the humble 50mm f/1.8D - as it's so light weight in comparison.

Thankfully, it's just as sharp and fun to use :) Love it. Fast as I need it to be on my D200 with full AF. Of course, I'd love to try out an f/1.4 some time, but apart from that one supposedly being a bit faster and maybe it's a little sharper too? The f/1.8 has more than enough bang for buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:09 pm 
Got the F1.8 AF-D, my first addition to the kit lens that came with my D80.

Cheap, sharp, easy to use. It totally blows all of my other Nikon lenses sharpness wise.

Do I use it often, no, I find 50mm on a DX format camera a bit too tight to frame. I tried the 50mm on my friend's D3s, it feels much more "right".

If I can turn back time, I would wait exactly 2 weeks +1 day for the announcement of the 35mm F1.8......2 weeks was the exact time in which B&H will accept returns....son of a.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 pm 
Sometimes I wish I had a 35mm instead of the 50mm f/1.8 - But, only when shooting indoors. I don't see any other advantage. I mean, if you want a wide, get a 28mm or wider again. 35mm hasn't really anything over the 50mm bar a couple of physical steps. That and double the price-tag! Move those feet, back up a little, and viola - good as that 35mm ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 am 
AF 50mm f/1.8D - amazing lens for the price. Just wanted to try shallow depth of field and did not want to pay much money. Absolutely love this lens. Want to try f/1.4G someday. So again it's really good lens and if your budget is tight, just go for it. You'll never regret =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:45 pm 
I opted for the 1.8D too.
This with nikon D40 on Tynemouth pier.
http://www.redbubble.com/mybubble/art/5 ... hings/edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 pm 

My 50 1.4 G is now really showing it's value when I'm shooting stage performances. Lighting's terrible, but the AF is very good, and 1.4 also provides some nice subject isolation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm 
Is your 1.4 good for gigs,like rock gigs etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm 

Definitely:

Some shots with the 35 1.8, and 50 1.4:
http://cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24079

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:38 pm 
Really nice.
Thanks very much.
Hope you are keeping well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 pm 

Next performance is tomorrow so if you have any requests I'll see what I can do. It handles backlight quite well so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
@citruspers

Great shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 pm 

Thanks Hugo :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next