Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon SB-400?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 am 

Hi all!

I'm looking at the Nikon SB-400 with a Nikon D200. Is this good for a basic flash for bouncing? Would 2 units be good to light up the background? Thanks!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:45 am 
If by basic bouncing you mean shooting in smaller rooms in landscape orientation and using it as a fill flash, then SB-400 is good enough. But I would definetly go with next best thing, the SB-600.
The reason for this is, compared to SB-400 the SB-600 has more pros:

+ more power, means more range
+ articulated head horizontally and vertically, for any camera orientation
+ can be used as a slave flash
+ light emitting surface is about double the size (softer light)
+ easier to find accesories for

- heavier and bigger than SB-400
- needs more baterries

All in all I reccomend you the proper flash unit with articulated head and slave ability. If you don't want to pay for Nikon brand, then you can find a cheaper alternative. Third party proper flash is better than Nikon branded pocket flash for the same money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:16 pm 

For the background, assuming you will work manually anyhow, some cheap chinese flashes would perform absolutely the same, at a lower price. :)

I think gadgetinfinity sells some cheap manual flashes, and flash triggers (cactus)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:28 pm 
Hi EvanK,

I have and use both the SB-400 and the SB-600. Each serves a purpose and they both perform very well. The SB-400 is excellent as a daytime fill-flash - it recycles faster than the built-in flash and the SB-600, is small and lightweight and is a lot more portable than the bulkier AB-600. It shoots what seems like forever on 2 AA batteries and can be tilted vertically. It's a great flash to bring to the beach and park where you want to combat those harsh shadows you may otherwise get in strong sun.

The SB-600 is another beast. Quite more power and can be fired off-camera as slave from the D90 and up Nikon models, without any extra triggers. For the purpose you describe - blasting the background of something, this model is more appropriate. It comes with a stand too.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)