Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 pm 
Hey guys, I have been browsing the net for lenses for a long time and I came across these two cheap (compared to canon ) lenses :

Tokina AT-X840 AF D 80-400mm
Vivitar 650-1300MM F/8

Have anyone used these lenses? Any of these? Are they good? Some people said these lenses produce mediocre images, but I have got no idea bout it.
Are they worth buying? They have got no image stabilizing tools, but I think using them on a mono-pod would solve the problem. So what do you think?

Thanks for your answers!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:14 pm 
I don't know about the Vivitar (still,I bet money it's a crap lens) but the Tokina is a horrible lens. Not recommended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm 

With regard to the Tokina, have a look at my review.
And a monopod is certainly not enough for shooting at 1300mm F/16 :shock: The latter is also manual focus afaik, try this at f/16 and with the shake. You'll never get anything usable unless you have a pretty stable tripod plus a good body for ISO 1600 and upwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am 
Thanks for the review. The tokina is quite nice for the price, but unfortunately it is too soft at the 400mm end. Guess I'll try using it with my 550D first then decide whether it suits me or not. Again, thanks for your wonderful review and images of the tokina.

Vivitar anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 am 

forget the 650-1300 zoom lenses. It's most likely a variable aperture lens and will top out at F/16 or F/22. Optically it will probably indeed be mediocre.

You might want to look at the Sigma 150-500 OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:21 pm 

Yep - I've seen the same lens advertised here under opteka and its actually f8-16. Also the thing is huge and you would have to spend another 2-300 on a tripod sturdy enough to hold it. You would have better luck with the tamron but for the best results go for the sigma and you also get OS.

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4