Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: hometown proposal
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:07 pm 
I got information from parents in my hometown concerning sport team photography, most parents that I heard from complain about the bad photo results they receive from the photographer (he uses a canon compact camera, no external flash or light) . I got 2 kids and they play baseball, hockey, and soccer (football) the photos are really bad for 10$ :D. My wife, friends, and family are pushing me to accept a proposal from all community teram sports (all age groups). I got to admit the excitement and of course the money that I could make. Now the city is talking about hiring a real pro photographer, but the down side is the price 15$ per order (portrait and team photos). The only scare I've got is not licking photography (I like it so much now for my friends, family)... can I still enjoy photography when it's my job? My friend told me to give it a shot, and to encourage me he'll hire me to shot his car dealer calendar for 2011. I don't it sounds all good, just hope I can still enjoy it.

I'm still thinking about it, can any of you express their experiences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:06 pm 
I got a call from my sons coach, and on Tuesday I got my first shoot.
So I'll give it try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:32 pm 

I haven't made the jump into paid photography yet, but I have a specific list of skillsets I want to master before I do. What I strongly suggest is to practice with people you know, such as your kids, until you can get good shots consistently. If you feel you can light up your subjects well, have good exposures, take well-focused pictures and can post-process them well enough to feel proud of selling the pictures, then I'd say you're ready.

If you're jumping in because you feel you're ready, great, but if you're jumping in because you think you can't do worse than the other guy, I'd say wait a little.

But you have a golden opportunity to start your paid career as a photographer, make sure you go all-out the first time and leave a good first impression. When those kids and families need pictures later, they'll remember you, and they'll come looking for you to cover their events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:37 pm 

I say just go for it. Nothing like having to do something to force you to really learn something new, improve your work etc. I have just completed my first large 360 project with 5 different rooms in a large very funky/cool bar in the centre of Paris. I must admit I really upped my game when I had to do the 360 work for a client rather than just for fun. I looked for every single stitching error, lighting error etc and fixed them. Congrats on the opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:03 am 
I agree with you all.
Golden start For sure that's why on Tuesday I'll do whatever it takes to do the best (except buying a new camera). I'll share the photo for comments)
Thank you for the support, btw i'll keep doing my work.

Now I'm going to see fireworks, all I've got is my iPhone and my wifes father. I guess my teacher was right again (always have your camera with you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:23 am 
To terminate this post... I will not photograph the kids in my home town.
Some parents are so sensitive about having their child photo ending up on a pedofile PC screen.... OMG

Had an argument with a few ladies asking me what the hell I was doing.
I asked the soccer (football) league if I could take some pictures.

So I'm going to buy a new Ford F150 to heal my pain (getting it on wednesday). it's a pick up truck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 pm 

Welcome to the paranoid world we live in.....good to hear you eased the pain with a new car :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:36 pm 

Yep, that's parents nowadays, the only people that can take a picture of their kids are other family members. And people with very long telephoto lenses...

Nice car by the way.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:54 pm 

Only Europeans would think that a F150 is a car.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:39 am 
NOT TRUE, I'm a european (switzerland, oh that's right we're not in the EU) I moved back to canada DECEMBER 2010.

I'm all OK about it... I rather spend quality time with the camera, and do and how I wanna do it.

But on Saturday I did take a few shots of my son's soccer (football) tournament, and I had a few parents asking if I could email the photos to them because they won the championship. So I got a dozen emails to send to (I told them to visit my site google instead) too complicated for most.

I feel so much better, the excitement is gone so is the disappointment for the mother paranoia.

We received the photo of my son (from the official photographer) yuuuuk too expensive for what it is.

Thanks too all for your support, I appreciate it very much.