Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Minolta lenses
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 pm 
Hi

I just bought a Sony a500 DSLR.
I am interested in buying a few different lenses as I really want to throw myself in at the deep end and learn how to use camera properly,I am going to take a few evening classes as well.

Just wondered to get me started would it be a good idea to buy a few Minolta lenses instead of the Sony ones,I can get some lenses pretty cheap on ebay compared to the prices of the new Sony lenses.
Im sure these Minolta lenses are old but for the price I think its worth the risk depending and what people here actually think?
If in good condition will these lenses be as good as the new Sony lenses?
If I want to buy a zoom lens would a 70mm - 210mm f/4 be a good one to start with? or would I really want to go for a lower f number?
Same goes with wide angle lenses,what should I be looking for?
I don't have loads of money for this so thats why I thought starting with a few Minolta lenses which can be got cheap would be a good place to start.
Im sorry if these are basic and silly questions but I have no one else to ask! I know I could seach google for answers which I have done, but there is nothing like a human response albeit a cyber human response.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 pm 

I would recommend starting out with an “all purpose” type of lens like a SAL 18-250 and getting comfortable with the different focal ranges and results.
Once you find your preference or photographic interests, then you can narrow your search/purchase down to something specific.

Don’t go cheap on lenses, as you can take them from one body to the next, and they will be with you forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:26 am 
I shot with the 70-210 and kit lens for a long time. I think that is a good route to go as the 70-210 is very versatile. I used it for portraits, macro, and wildlife with good results. You shouldn't worry too much about the f4 aperture. I was able to get good blurred backgrounds for portraits and luckily the sony cameras have the handy image stabilization that allowed for slower shutter speeds even at f4. They are also generally well built and sharp. The only downside really is that they are noisey and clunky to autofocus, but it works pretty well.

So yeah I would say go and get the beercan, and if you have the money get a 50mm prime too. You should be able to get both lenses for under 300 bucks on ebay/craigslist.

Post subject: Minolta lens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 am 
HI Casey78 , I have a minolta AF DT 18-200 lens on a minolta Dynax
D7 Camera and have been looking a Sony body an the only one It
would not work on Is the A850 because of the full frame, but it's a excellent lens the A550 would be ok with it but that seems to have a few colors probs so Im waiting !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm 

Definitely pick up some Minolta lenses - they are usually excellent choices if you pick the better ones, and can perform in some ways better than many current lenses, and in a few ways they have minor downsides. The better Minolta lenses, especially the G lenses, are excellent - sharp as can be. The only issue you'll sometimes get with them is some minor chromic abberation or purple fringing in extreme contrast situations, as the lenses don't have the modern coatings which most digital-optimized lenses today have.

As for what lenses - the 70-210 F4 is a well loved lens, so if you can find one cheap, it's certainly a decent option. I'd strongly recommend nearly any of Minolta's prime lenses - for cheap starters you can pick up something like a 50mm F1.7 usually for $60-70 or less - it's great to have at least one fast prime for low light work.

Enjoy - you've got an excellent camera, and plenty of room to grow - you can always add the pricier and nicer lenses as you go along...your camera can definitely reap the benefits of the really expensive glass, so keep your eyes out for bargains on those.

If and when you can afford it, the 18-250mm recommendation above is excellent - even with some of the older Minolta lenses you pick up, it is still convenient to have at least one 'superzoom' type lens as a travel/anytime lens - you can pick up the Sony-labeled version which is excellent, or save some money if you can find a Tamron 18-250mm version - it's the same lens optically as Tamron makes the Sony version too, just with a slightly different grip design and focus gearing.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject: minolta lenses
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:37 pm 

I would recommend the Minolta 50 mm 1.7 - it's effective focal length is 75 mm and has low light capabilities. It's also very compact to carry around. The 70 - 210 mm F4.0 "beercan" is a very good lens and has an effective focal length of 105 - 330 mm. The zoom focuses inside of the lens body instead of telescoping out of the body, making it easier to hold and to feel the balance of the lens.

I had a Sigma 28-300 lens but was disappointed with the level of sharpness and that the maximum F stop decreased to F6.3 at about 100mm. By comparison, the beercan has F4 available from 70 - 210mm.

Hope that is helpful.

Have heard the A500 is a good camera. Wish I had the $ to consider it.

cheers!