Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Admin

See our Panasonic Lumix FZ100 review!

On July 21st, Panasonic announced the Lumix DMC FZ100, a higher-end version of the Lumix FZ45 / FZ40, which shares the same lens and body, but swaps the CCD sensor for a CMOS model which supports Full HD video and fast continuous shooting. In many ways, it's what the Canon SX1 IS was to the SX20 IS.

This is our official thread for discussing the camera. We plan to review the FZ100, along with the FZ45 / FZ40 when they become available.

[img]http://media.panasonic.eu/images/DMC-FZ100EBK-HiRes-Image__Image--[1]((Europe))-1WebA1001001A10G07B55937C22761.jpg[/img]

Official Lumix FZ100 page at Panasonic UK

Hybrid Super Zoom Camera FZ100 - For both Still and Full-HD Motion Pictures, and High-speed Response

The DMC-FZ100 features a 25mm wide-angle 24x optical zoom f/2.8-5.2 LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens. The 25mm wide-angle lens has about twice the shooting area of the standard 35mm lens. The powerful 24x optical zoom can be used both in still and motion picture recording. The Extra Optical Zoom function uses the center part of the MOS sensor to extend this 24x zoom ratio to powerful 50.6x zoom at a resolution of 3-megapixel or less in still picture recording.

The DMC-FZ100 can record 1,920 x 1,080 full-HD movie of 60i (NTSC) / 50i (PAL) in AVCHD with high sound quality of Dolby Digital Stereo Creator. In the Creative Movie Mode, the shutter speed and aperture can be adjusted. The iA Mode can also be activated in motion picture recording. In addition, the DMC-FZ100 can record high-speed movie at 220fps in QVGA size. When the DMC-FZ100 is connected to a Panasonic VIERA via an optional mini HDMI cable, the TV's remote control unit can be used to enjoy playing back with greater convenience.

To realize the full-HD movie recording, the 14.1-megapixel MOS sensor is developed for the DMC-FZ100. It enables the DMC-FZ100 to shoot 11 fps / 5 fps with continuous AF in 14-megapixel full resolution, and 60 fps in approx. 3.5-megapixel resolution. The frame rate, AF setting and the recording resolution can be easily selected with a dedicated button on the top of the camera. The Venus Engine FHD, featuring Intelligent Resolution technology and 32x Intelligent Zoom, is also incorporated in the DMC-FZ100.

The iA Mode is advanced with the Motion Deblur Mode by updating the Intelligent ISO Control and Intelligent Exposure to gain shutter speed. Combined with the POWER O.I.S., the DMC-FZ100 prevents any kind of blur. With the POWER O.I.S., Intelligent ISO Control, Face Detection AF/AE, Face Recognition, Intelligent Scene Selector, Intelligent Exposure and AF Tracking, the camera does all the work in the iA Mode. The Happy Mode optimizes color saturation and brightness for vividly memorable scenes.

The excellent manual controllability is the advantage of DMC-FZ100. The jog dial enhances the operability together with the focus switch relocated on the lens barrel. In addition, easy manual operation is possible with the DMC-FZ100. The My Color Mode and Film Mode make it easy to customize color effects to match your favor. The Advanced Scene Mode lets you quickly set the frequently used Scene Modes with the mode dial. The DMC-FZ100 also features a 3.0-inch free-angle LCD with 460,000-dot high resolution.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:05 pm 
Gordon, my FZ100 is still in my "wish list" at B&H and I will be notified when the have one available for purchase/shipment. Hope you get your hands on an FZ100 and you can test and review it as if it is your own and post a review/comparison similar to the Panasonic FZ35/Canon 20IS. I made my decision on the FZ35 based on that review/comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:34 pm 
Nice, can't wait for the review Gordon :)

I was about the get the 35, but when the announcement of the 100 was made i was really happy about some of the new features put on the 40/100 (since it had everything i was waiting for since the FZ28). I was ready to label it the best overall super zoom on the market before it released, although with the recent discussion war over at dpreview on the studio shots they posted compared to the 35 and other models. It kinda has me on hold for now, or at least until you review it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:20 am 
To get to grips with what is going on with the FZ100 I think one probably
needs to understand what the new Panasonic MOS (CMOS) sensor is all
about. This is not going to provide the same type of performance and
results as the CCD sensor in the FZ38/35. The MOS heritage and original
design is one developed by Panasonic for video cameras. For compatibility,
one should rather compare the FZ38/35 to the FZ45/40 which has the same
CCD technology, but with a slightly increased density. I still maintain that
one is going to have to probably wait a bit longer before the jury is out on
the FZ100’s ability to produce still shots – Its video capability will in all
probability be outstanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:35 pm 
Unlike the FZ100, they say the FZ40/45 will not be in the hands of people to review or compare photos until sometime in September. I am sure they want to market the FZ100 and create sales before making the FZ40/45 available.

Some better photo capability of the FZ100 can be found over on DP Forum and "Panasonic Talk".

http://www.dpreview.com
Post Title: FZ100 Samples II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am 

Ron, as Gordon mentioned (sorry, I dont want to play as mod): Please dont link to DPreview.

I think the FZ100 and FZ45 are going to be a great succes. What I dont understand are the megapixels. Canon got many replies to their 50(0)D, why they had 15 Megapixels on such a ''small'' sensor. Now this camera has 14 (!), on a very much smaller sensor. Where will the noise be going to?!
Why dont they simply use a 8 or 10 MP sensor with less noise?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 pm 
Ruben I do hope that the FZ100 or FZ40 are successful. I no little or nothing about cameras, especially what makes them good or bad. Sensors? Just want to purchase a camera to replace a Minolta SLR that dates back to 1998. Panasonic camera shop does not exist in Costa Rica. So, the information I must obtain inorder to make a decision comes from sites like Camera Labs.

I didn't think directing someone to another site to view photos or read comments about the FZ35, FZ40 or FZ100 would be a problem. I made my decision to initially buy the FZ35 on the information, reviews and comparison made by Gordon. I like many others are probably trying to gather as much information on the Panasonic cameras as is readily available. That other site had more positive and/or negative information, to include photos than any other site.

Thanks for your reply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 pm 

I dont know if you know anything about sensors, but I thought the maximum amount that gives the best quality on a 1/2,55 is 6 megapixels.
Any higher should give less or equal image quality, and more noise.
The only thing you can do against noise is developping a better sensor (but there's a limit of course) or making better NR software in the camera.
In my opinion, a non-dSLR should have around 6 or 7 megapixels.
Am I wrong or are there other thoughts?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm 
Sorry Ruben, but I know nothing about sensors. This type of camera is going to be a "new" experience. There will be a BIG learning curve and spending a lot of time on Camera Labs asking questions and a lot of time in their "tutorials"! Hoping I am making a good choice in either the FZ100, FZ40 or if I choose to take a step back to the FZ35.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm 
If you are looking for the most recent and comprehensive review of Panasonic's FZ100 I might suggest you Google "Panasonic DMC FZ100". Posted today and answers a lot of questions I had. The FZ100 will remain in my "Wish List" at B&H and will be ordered once they have cameras in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:11 pm 

Ron, if youre buying trough B&H, please help CameraLabs with clicking on the link of B&H on this page: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml
It doesnt cost you an extra coin, but CameraLabs gets a small refund for it, and with that refund, youre helping Cameralabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:27 pm 
Done! My "Wish List" at B&H includes Panasonic FZ100, FZ100 Battery - DMW-BMB9 and FZ35 if future review/comparison by Camera Labs changes my mind before B&H advises me that FZ100 is available for immediate purchase/shipment. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

Congratulations!

Post subject: Now what to do......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Ruben, I was chatting with you today on what to buy and what was faster teh FZ35 or the Canon. Then I started researching this site, which is great!!! And now I am between a rock and a hard place with the Fz35 proven, and the FZ40 and FZ100 on their way. I can probably wait until September to drop some coin on a camera, but now I don't know what to buy. Someone said you lose some features in the FZ40 that the FZ35 had, but I don't know what they are, at least for a neophite like me. And you can't assume that 35<40 and 40<100 . The waters are sure muddy now!!!! :?

Post subject: fz 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm 

I have been looking up information on this camera since I first heard about it & am giving it serious consideration when it hits the market. The most comprehensive site I have come across is on the following link http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/index.html If this dosen't give you all the info & cannot get your mouth watering at the prospect of this machine coming on stream then you probably are not looking for a Panasonic. Me...... I can't wait to get my hands on this camera. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)