Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which one TZ7 or TZ8?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:22 am 

Hi,

I understand TZ7 is an older model of the 2 and where I am both are selling about the same price. TZ8 is slightly cheaper.

According to Cameralabs TZ7 receives better overall grading than TZ8. Can any advise me which one to get? I am buying this for my son, about 22years not very proficient in photography. He will use it for the following:

1. General photography and video recording during travelling or at home
2. Use mainly in auto mode
3. good zoom mode, both have X12 zoom.

any one who notice any major differences between the 2 let know. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:02 pm 
If I understand correctly, the TZ7 doesn't have manual controls, and if it's the same price for the TZ8, with full Manual/Shutter/Aperture Priority modes, why not go for that?

The Video thing might irk you, seems the TZ8/TZ10 have some fairly moderate streaking problems when bright lights hit the lens while filming, check out the official thread for more info.

However in terms of picture quality, I would say it's fantastic, especially if settings are optimal, read Gordon's reviews of the TZ10 AND the TZ8 since they both have the same capabilities photo wise, but the TZ8 lacks GPS, smaller, less detailed, screen and no AVCHD video mode. But the photo samples with the TZ10 Gordon took should showcase the TZ8's capabilities as well (Although the TZ8 has it's own detailed review posted today).

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:23 pm 

I have the TZ10 and I think that it's a very good camera.
It's automatic (scenes ) are very useful for those that do not have the urge to go with the "creative" modes and perform well in normal contitions.
Macro is very good too to catch that flower, and telephoto is good as well.
It fits very well in your pocket and can be with you everywhere you go.
Just take it out and catch that moment.
It has the benefit that it has all the semi auto and ful manual modes fot those that want a bit more control, those don't quite make it a DSLR but allow for more flexibility than a "classical" compact.
The metal body makes it sturdy, and battery life is adequate.
The DVI port is really great to have, the pictures and video out of camera look splendid on your HDTV.
The most annoyng downside, imho, it the shutter lag, but I understand that all the compacts are plagued by that one.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm 

Panasonic seem to release these cameras in pairs

the TZ6 and TZ7 and now TZ8 and TZ10.

The TZ10 is the replacement for TZ7 and TZ8 is replacement for TZ6

If I remember rightly the TZ7 has 720p video and the TZ6 didn't. You may need to check a)if that's important and b) if the TZ8/TZ10 relationship is similar.

We have a TZ7 and like it. Some reviews say the battery life on these cameras is pretty poor but I haven't had any issues. The TZ10 isn't much of an improvement (over the TZ7) but it has GPS which if that's an essential feature get it although some reviews say eats the battery.

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:33 pm 

Thanks everyone for the response, my believe is that the 2 units are marginal in terms of image quality. Most likely the TZ7 has better performance at low light, and possibly has a better dynamic range because it has 10M pixel sensor instead of 12. Really my son won't be able to notice the difference.

I don't need a GPS in my camera besides it draws too much current.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:42 pm 
The GPS can be disabled.

About the sensor, I am not an expert by ANY means, but, the TZ10 has a 14MP sensor, but the most you can use is 12mp, whether this means it'll have better 12MP photos than a straight 12MP sensor I don't know, but just putting that out there. At ISO 80 the quality is perfect, here is a 100% crop of ISO 80 during the daytime, at around 5x zoom to boot:

Shutter was 1/400th if you're interested
100% Crop of center of the image:

Full size:

(This is the banner for a fruit store)