Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 am 
I'm planning to buy lighting kit and studio equips for indoor portrait. If possible i wanna know which lighting equips they used in the below pic.... pls help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:35 am 
You could use two manual flashes (inexpensive) like the Vivitars 285 hv and one or two umbrellas. After that is just how you position the light. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49774683@N06/ here are some strobist pics. I'm still in the process of learning but check out video tutorials at youtube.com

PS: You might need lightstands, flash/umbrella adapters, wireless triggers or sync cords.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 am 
Thanks for the advice... I will try to do some experiments :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 pm 
Both of these photo's can be obtained by a single off camera flash and a light modifier such an umbrella or soft box. My advice, if budget is a concern, get yourself a medium to large convertible umbrella to start with. Then you can add a second flash later on for the hair light etc. Google one light setups and you fill find a wealth of information on how to achieve these looks on a budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:14 pm 
hello :)

if you want to a long way with Studio
those headshot are done with a Beauty DIsh, it's called Beauty dish for a reason. For beauty shot!!

right now i'm using 2 Nikon SB-28 and 1 SB-600 flash.
with those i can do 3 lighting set up.

As far as light modifier, I got a Beauty Dish and a 50" Westscott softbox
and some shoot through umbrella.

that's more than enough to shoot studio :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:08 pm 
Thanks for the advice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 pm 
That second shot looks like rembrandt lighting. Notice the triangle on the right side of her face. One light upper camera right and one lowe camera left I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm 
Catchlights give fairly decent hints on what lighting has been used on the subject. The first one looks like a key-light + reflector to fill the shadows, while the second one looks like a one light setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm 

No matter what lights you end up buying, do NOT leave out reflectors. You NEED reflectors. It is pretty easy and cheap to get one of those 5-in-1 packs with the gold, black, diffuser, white, and silver screens.

Reflectors will get your subjects eyes to glow more (dual catch lights), fill in shadows, even out/balance your lighting, and in many ways, serve as an additional light source if positioned properly. Reflectors are invaluable to get the most out of your natural light outside as well.

The most inexpensive and reliable studio strobes are alienbees, I highly recommend looking into their equipment if you are constructing a studio. I currently use 3 of their B800 strobes.

Much of the point of studio strobes are control- control your light. There are many things you can use in your home to control the light- you don't have to spend money, unless you are able to. Whatever you have around the house to block and channel light, large boards, whatever, will help you direct it where you want it (off the backdrop for example).

Here are shots I did using 3 AB800s, softbox, reflector, grids, and blocks (flags). You will need to budget at the very least around $150 for decent stands for your lights, just keep that in mind (unless you plan on hanging them from strings :))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankiewit ... 396587401/

Alienbees B800 (x3) | Alienbees Cyber Commander | CSR+ Receivers | Grids, Softbox, Gels, Manfrotto/Century/Avenger stands

www.flickr.com/frankiewithers
www.fkwstudio.blogspot.com
www.fkwstudio.com