Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:34 pm 

Hi:

I'm taking a photo class and one of the assignments was to take a photo of hands. I asked one of my mothers friends to pose for me.

Please let me know what you really think, your comments will only help me get better.

Canon XTi | Canon 17-85mm | Focal Length=61mm | Shutter=1/40 sec | Aperture = f/5.6 | Mode=Av | Flash=External 430EX bounced off the wall on the right | ISO:400

Thanks,

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:41 pm 
Really nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm 
GREAT one!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:11 am 
Nice one but I think a shot or frame showing the full sets of hand(s) would be better,. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:33 am 
Really great shot. I agree with DavidL though - I would have liked to see the hands brought into frame a bit more.

Even so, as it is it's fantastic shot. Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:55 am 
I can feel something with this shot.
Tough, Hope, Peace, Faith.

Love the detail of the hand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:26 pm 
AMEN! Oops, sorry got caught away. LOL. Thats a great picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:50 pm 
I think that is a VERY good looking picture. Great depth of field and it sparks a lot of associations, whether it be religion, age, character, ones grandmother..sky is the limit.

From a composition perspective - weighed against "hands"-theme - I have to admit that I am pulled in two directions.

One one hand (bad pun, sorry) I am immediately drawn to the hands themselves. Their depth and character - as they rest on the also focused text/book below.

When I look at this image longer, religious aspect become more prevalent. Clearly the text is biblical and the "pose" of the hands, along with the crucifix, become more obvious.

To my eyes - and I realize that the image is reduced and that my monitor can only approximate - the focus point is just in front of the rings and not on the crucifix or the nails.

Nevertheless the crucifix is smack-dab in the center, screaming for attention - but it is somewhat out of focus - or maybe it's the position of the light.

If this was my assignment, I would play around with shifting the focus forward towards the cross and play with the lighting a little more. And perhaps move the camera a little to the right, to bring the crucifix a little off center.

In addition, I would try how it looks with either more or less of the hands showing, because the cross is also vertically centered.

The image is very evocative as it is and a very fine piece of photographic art as it stands and I like it a lot and please take my comments on that backdrop, if you will :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:47 am 
very nice shot well done. I would have to agree with LahLahSr, I was thinking the same thing before I read the post's.
Other then that it is well done.
Tell us how it did in your class. I would like to know what your teacher thinks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am 

Hi Mitchel,

This was very well executed and comes across well in black and white. I like your choice of using 'aged' hands for this shot. They certainly have more of a story to tell and adds a lot of character to the image. One thing that might be interesting in a shot like this would be to shoot it with a wider aperture, something like f/1.8 might be useful in bringing more attention to the hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 am 
I like this very much. B&W photos often look too artsy or would be better in color, but you've hit it just right. Perhaps the DOF could extend back to the nuckles, but that's a minor thing -- I wouldn't change anything that would take away from what you already've got -- it's a shot to be proud of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 pm 

Thank you everyone for the great comments and suggestions. The class is over, the instructor picked this one as one of his favorites but the overall class vote was for a photo of a child holding a flower and I have to admit it was very nice.

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:53 am 

mitchel wrote:
...the instructor picked this one as one of his favorites ...
Mitch

There was no doubt that this was a good photograph. Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 am 
really great shot!!