I need some advice about tripods that can be used for both shooting and filming.
Here's the case: I currenty have a Canon 450D with the standard lens and a tele 55-250. Maybe in the future I will buy a 70-200. Furthermore I have a compact camera that I currently use for filming (this could well be replaced by a decent video camera).
I mostly use my gear shooting and filming everything concerning railways.
There a some things to consider;
- the subterranean can be unstable (rocks, sand, (moist) grass, or combination), so I think it's preferable to have 3 legs instead of 4)
- it must not breakdown after some particles of sand or moist grass and must be easy to clean
- vibrations of environment (you definitely feel a 160t steamlocomotive passing by
- tripod must be easy and fast to setup and break down
- (mostly) horizontal flawless filming
- suitable for DSLR (450d) photo shooting (with zoom lens)
- suitable for compactcamera filming
- suitable for videocamera filming
The tripod must be very stable even in tough conditions.
Also filming both horizontal and vertical must be very smooth.
But I am just an amateur, so I will definitely will not use it every week. Considering the price it will and must be an accessory !
My local camera store adviced the Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Black combined with Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Head (have they also read Gordon's review
) At about € 300,00 it's not extremly expensive, but (hey, i'm Dutch
) I preferred a little less money.
Although I still have to 'feel' the 055XPROB (feeling the weight) I think (after reading reviews) this is a fine piece of equipment. Real pro is that it can extend up to about 180 cm (without head).
But what about the 701HDV ? Is it suitable for me or is the whole set way to excessive for me ?