Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 pm 
Hi all

Im new here and just saw this thread on the a550.
I am thinking of buying the a500,despite a few features less than the a550 I think it might suit me and I won't really miss the 2mp difference and the other features missing.
Anyone any thoughts on the a500?
Sorry for hijacking the thread,as being new here I didn't want to start new threads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:41 pm 

Sounds like you've got a good reason to go for the A500 - I personally think the two cameras are very similar and both quite good...I've seen great results from both of them. I love the A550 - but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the A500 either...as long as you don't want/need the extra LCD resolution, the 7fps speed mode, or the 2MP difference, it's otherwise identical.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:11 pm 
Hi zackiedawg thanks for the reply.

Only reason I have decided on the a500 over the a550 is price,I figured I could get a nice 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for the difference in the price between the two bodies

The LCD res and the 7fps speed wouldn't really bother me,I think 5fps will be loads for what I want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:17 pm 
I hope you guys don't mind me "Hi-jacking" this topic.

Want to buy a DSLR for a while now and after reading many reviews, looking at photo's and endless lists of specs (i love to do this kind of prework, so its no nagging), i also am favouring the Sony 550.
Even though i am new to photography (had a Fujifilm compact which i enjoyed a lot) i am drawn towards macro shooting. Little critters and such.

As the 550 has a tiltable screen, very fast auto focus in live view i think its the best fit for me. So i saved up some cash and wanted to go oout today and buy the camera.
But... Just as i was doing my breakfast and enjoying me tea, i stumbled upon the information the 550 is going to be discontinued... As there is no information yet when its follow up will be for sale and what specs it will get, i don't really want to wait any longer.

But just to be sure, do you lads know any other DSLR camera's with tiltable screen and fast focus on live view? I couldn't find any last few months, but as i said, i am new to this market.

Any help would be appreciated and have a nice weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:41 pm 

Sony are unique with the fast AF in live view as far as DLSRs go. If you like the A550, just because it is going to be discontinued doesn't make it any less of a camera. Sony are quite fast pace at replacing the lower end cameras. You can be sure when its replacement comes out even if there are improvements, there'll also be a price hike. Waiting is always hard to debate when there isn't any solid information. Even after announcement of any replacement, there'll usually be a time lag between announcement and availability.

Also, if you get seriously into macro, you'll likely wont be using AF much anyway. It loses it usefulness as the magnification increases, and it becomes easier to fix focus and move the camera to get it just right.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:57 pm 
Thanks for the quick respons! You are right on the first part and i guess i already knew, just wanted an opinion from someone else.

About the AF & macro, true that, but as a beginner i might use it at start. And i tend to forget this every time :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 am 

As mentioned above...I wouldn't worry about 'discontinued'. Entry and mid level cameras from most manufacturers are replaced or upgraded annually - so 1 year is about the max for a camera to be on the market before you hear of the replacement on the way. Figuring the A550 debuted in Sep/Oct 09, they usually discontinue manufacturing of the model a but before, sell off existing inventory, and a fairly strong likelihood the new models will be announced in August...and on shelves right around October.

Most rumors point to the addition of video being a key upgrade for the next model, and likely the HHT and 3D modes recently introduced on their NEX models. There's some chance of an upgraded sensor (maybe 16MP)...but in all honesty, very little will likely be changed in the still camera functionality. Not to mention pricing on the A550s is excellent now...so if you like it, I'd probably get it and don't worry about newer/faster/better models down the road. If you wait, and get the newest of the new models, it too will be discontinued and replaced by something else in another 8-10 months!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 pm 
Video ain't something i want. Its a gadget for me so thats a no. Same with 16MP, 14 is good enough for me.

For your guys information, i ordered my 550 this weekend and it will be delivered on Tuesday. Together with a cheapish Tamron 70-300mm piece of glass, to play around before i will get a good macro lens from at least 90mm in a few months.

Thanks!

Post subject: Heathrow T5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
A couple of weeks ago I gave the 550 a goodish test at T5. I would recommend the camera to anyone who is looking to buy one. I own a A200 & A350 and I walked away after firing it off on any passenger, gf and shop assistant within my view with a feeling of wanting one lol!

Yes the FPS is much better than my current cameras as well as other features. I would recommend that everyone in the market for one goes and does what I did and test it!