Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm 

Sorry with respect I am not the only one who thinks so, you just have to open your eyes.
Why do you think entry numbers are down month on month??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:37 pm 

Given that the winning image this month received the "massive" total of seven votes, and many (including mine and yours, GCJ) received none. I suggest that the mathematics of the voting provide no evidence at all of buy-in voting. I did not vote for myself (hence the zero score) so I voted for another image (I liked Naniani's barbed wire). I don't know anything about Naniani. I voted for the image, not the person. Presumably others also voted for the genuinely good images.

There were 41 images and 61 votes were cast, so assuming that all entrants voted, there are only twenty non-competing voters, and I am willing to believe that most if not all of them are legitimate members of Computerlabs forums.

Why is it so hard to believe that a grand total of seven people thought dilbarmano's image was the best? There can be no credible conspiracy theory on the basis of seven votes, especially when another image got six and four more got five. The distribution of votes is not at all unexpected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 pm 

Brian,
I am a great advocate of Cameralabs. Everyone that I have come in contact with that have a camera, I recommend this site and forum. I just wanted to point out that after some twenty odd monthly assignments that I have entered the voting has become some what dubious, to say the least.
No great shakes in the scheme of things, but sometimes things have to be said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am 

If it helps to clear up matters a bit, my vote went to dilbarmano's photo - which is suddenly gone after it was too big at first and then shown in thumbnail size.

Neither do I know dilbarmano nor have I ever voted for someone's photo just because it was theirs. I take a lot of time choosing my favorite and although the photo didn't meet all rules at first I copied the photo and reduced it to the allowed size and decided if I would still vote for it. And did.

And to that person who has voted for my picture - thank you. :)
I am still hoping for a second vote to set a new personal record.
:wink:

HTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:25 am 

It would be a pity if anyone was doing that as the rewards for winning the monthly competition should only be a feeling of artistic/technical accomplishment through being recognised by peers and I can't see where that sense of accomplishment would be for the person who broke the 'fair play' spirit of the competition.

From a technical standpoint, the system that runs this forum records in its database both the user ID and their IP along with their vote in order to make it easier to pick up on the most likely abuse. If lots of new user accounts all registered on the same date (I think phpBB 2 only records date not timestamp), from the same IP and then all voted for the same person then it would be very suspicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone, the trouble with polls is that it's easy for lots of people to sign up just to vote, or of course for one person to influence the result. In the spirit of fairness, I'd ask on behalf of everyone here that people vote fairly and do not ask others to register just to vote for them.

As some of you know, it's fairly easy to check the database to see who's voting for what, and it's even easier to check the member list to see if a suspicious number of people fropm the same region or IP address sign-up at the same time.

I always keep my eye on the voting and often check with those who are in the lead if they have perhaps asked their friends for support.

As explained in this post dilbarmano recommended his colleagues visit this site for camera information, and they of course also saw his image in the assignment. As supportive colleagues, they understandably voted for him, without necessarily knowing it was unfair on the other entrants. dilbarmano readily admitted this to me and as such has asked for his image to be ignored for this month's contest.

I don't see this as cheating, but a misunderstanding, and I'd like to thank dilbarmano for explaining the situation and asking to withdraw in the spirit of fairness.

I've updated the Assignment rules thread to request that people don't ask friends or colleagues to sign-up just to vote. I know it happens in other polls and that many members here have asked for support from other members in various competitions, but in the Camera Labs assignment a few extra votes really can swing the balance. So again in the spirit oif fairness, please leave the voting to registered and regular members of the forum.

Thanks,

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 am 

I guess that leaves me having to apologize to GCJ. I would not have thought it possible in such a small voting population. I would still be surprised to find systematic manipulation in such small samples over a long period of time, but it seems you were right and I was wrong. My apologies. And all credit to dilbarmano for doing the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm 

It wasn't my intention for anyone to be named or pointed out. I simply wanted to help the future of the assignment. The competition was set up to be simple and clean cut as it were.
Brian there's no need to apologise, I completely understand your view, but I have noticed similar occasions over many months. As I said I wanted to help preserve the good nature of the assignment, and for the enjoyment it brings to members. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm 

Hi everybody
I would like to thank eveyone who voted for me this month. It was a very close competition with some very good entries, so well done to those who entered.

Sue

My choice for next months assignment is COLOUR.
You can submit an entry which is dominant in any one colour of your choice, Or it can be a variety of colours. It can be contrasting, or moody, dramatic , bright and bold, or very subtle, i leave it up to you to decide. I would like to see photos that scream out WOW. So come on everyone have a go show us what you can do.
No colour popping is allowed, and not too much pp.
I hope to see loads of entries.
Good luck to you all.

Sue

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:31 am 

Well done naniani a well deserved win!

Good choice on the assignment as well, look forward to entering that one.

All the best
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:04 am 

Congrats naniani,

Regardless of the above comments, I did not put in an entry simply because I did not think my shots were good enough. Hey, that's why I look at CL to improve my skills.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm 
Hmmm, Canberra in winter is not a very colourful place. Will have to do some thinking on this one :)