Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm 

I have two SB-600 speedlights, and now I'm about to invest in some accessories - including an umbrella. Here's the thing: I don't have any light stands - nor do I want them, at least not for now. I much prefer to "stay mobile", and I find that tripods are quite limiting when it comes to that.

However, the convenient thing with light stands and umbrella adapters is that you have something to hold the umbrella in a "correct" position. My question is this: Is it possible to simply use a rubber band to attach the umbrella to the top of my flash? Or will I totally screw up the light if I do it this way?

By simply putting the umbrella on top of my flash, I'm thinking that I'd be able to move around more freely, without carrying light stands all the time...And save some money as well :wink:

So what do you think?

AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
2 x Speedlight SB-600
Yongnuo RF-603 and other accessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:07 pm 

I'd say you can use 2 rubber bands if you have a relatively light umbrella, but for the heavier ones I think you will need a stand. Also, keep in mind that you lose a lot of light with an umbrella. A softbox will be a more efficient, albeit more expensive solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 pm 

They make softboxes that are designed to cover the flash - have a look on ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:48 pm 

That would be the westcott Apollo line if you go the expensive route, or the stuff from Gadgetinfinity if you like cheap.

Post subject: Westcott Apollo Deal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:01 pm 
Please note - there is currently a GREAT deal on the Westcott 28" Apollo softbox! Check it out here!
http://www.fjwestcott.com/promos/speedlite/index.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 am 
fjwestcoast

Thanks dude for the link, I am going to order this from B&H. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:06 am 
I have a feeling you're not going to get sufficient coverage if you simply 'rubber band' an umbrella to the top of your flash; it'd probably only hit the bottom half of the umbrella.

If you're going to use it for running and gunning, have you considered alternatives such as Westcott's Mini Apollo or Lumiquest's Softbox III? They're probably not going to be as effective as an umbrella, but they're more non-light stand friendly.

Otherwise, I'd assume that you would have time to prepare/make adjustments, in which case I'd suggest you just man up and get a half decent light stand (they're not ridiculously expensive). They're not exactly that hard to move around and adjust, especially if it's just a speedlight and umbrella. :P

If you have someone helping you and you have a lot of cash to burn (which I doubt, since you're trying to save money), you could invest in Lastolite's Ezybox, which has the option of an extending handle that an assistant can use to position the softbox for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:17 am 
Site Admin

fjwestcott - thanks for the tip, but be careful about advertising on the forum without first consulting with me - thanks!

PS - fallenembers08, don't forget to order via the B&H logo on our partner stores page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 am 
@ Gordon

CRAP!! Sorry, I didn't read your reply fast enought. I ordered it WAY before you replied. :C

btw I have promoted Cameralabs.com many times on yahoo answers. so there I made it up :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:44 am 

I'll buy a light stand quite soon. I'd like to use the umbrella more before deciding whether to buy a softbox or not, however, the Lastolite Ezybox looks promising... :)

(It's almost impossible to find Westcott products in Sweden :cry: ... unless you're willing to get it from the UK, but then the shipping costs will be to big...)

AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
2 x Speedlight SB-600
Yongnuo RF-603 and other accessories