Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:28 pm 

NEW! Panasonic Lumix LX5 full review!

Panasonic Lumix LX5 full review.

Creative Compact Digital Camera LX5 - Featuring High-sensitivity CCD and f/2.0 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMICRON Lens

The DMC-LX5 packages an f/2.0 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMICRON lens with 24mm wide-angle and 3.8x optical zoom. This low-distortion, high-resolution lens lets you capture truly dynamic 24mm wide-angle images while rendering the tiniest nuances clearly, from corner to corner. The fully open f/2.0-3.3 aperture and iris diaphragm also work together to produce stunning scenes with gentle soft focusing. The 24mm wide-angle lens captures approx. 213% larger viewing space compared to a normal 35mm lens.

The DMC-LX5 features a large 1/1.63-inch, 10.1-megapixel ultra-sensitive CCD. It achieves high resolution, noise-less pictures even in high sensitivity recording and richly reproduced gradation in highly contrasted situations with the exquisitely wide dynamic range. In addition, the CCD in DMC-LX5 can reproduce images shot with the lens set from 24mm to 90mm in any of three aspect ratios; 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9, so you can always capture dynamic, richly expressive shots with a wide perspective.

With the Intelligent Resolution technology, 3 areas – outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradation areas – are automatically detected. Apart from the uniform enhancement of sharpness, this technology precisely performs signal processing pixel by pixel in the most effective way according to the area. As a result, images are clear and crisp in both photos and movies. The Intelligent Zoom extends the zoom ratio by approx. 1.3x maintaining the image quality even combining a digital zoom. A 3.8x optical can virtually extend to 5x equivalent.

The DMC-LX5 can record HD movie in AVCHD Lite with high sound quality of Dolby Digital Creator. Motion JPEG format is also available (1,280 x 720 pixels). Just press the Motion Picture Button, and shooting begins. In the Creative Movie Mode, the shutter speed and aperture can be adjusted. The iA Mode can also be activated in motion picture recording. When the DMC-LX5 is connected to a Panasonic VIERA via an optional mini HDMI cable, the TV's remote control unit can be used to enjoy playing back with greater convenience.

The excellent manual controllability is the advantage of DMC-LX5. The jog dial enhances the operability together with the focus switch relocated on the lens barrel. The My Color Mode and Film Mode make it easy to customize color effects to match your favor. The DMC-LX5 also features a 3.0-inch LCD with 460,000-dot high resolution and a wide range of optional accessories to choose from to match your shooting situations and style, including view finders, filters and external flashes.
Lots more information of the DMC-LX5 page.

Looks like a Canon PowerShot S90 competitor judging purely by pixel count, lens aperture and sensor size but the LX5 does HD (720p) while the S90 is limited to VGA (480). I wonder if we'll also see a Leica badged variant of the LX5 in the same way that the Leica D-Lux 4 mirrored the DMC-LX3? As I write the natural URL for a D-Lux 5 isn't recognised. :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 pm 
unfortunately, there are not much changes from LX3. LX5 doesn't change the game in serious/advanced compact camera.

Samsung EX1/TL500 is front runner right now, followed by Canon S90 who demands portability.

With this little improvement, why they named it LX5 instead of LX4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:11 pm 

Hi Enche,

My last edit crossed your post. Maybe LX5 works better in conjunction with D-Lux 5? Who knows? :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:48 pm 
Bah, don't you lot know anything, 4 and 9 are considered unlucky numbers in Japan, with 4 being the worse of the two as it means death. It's like you won't see any US products with number 13... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_numerals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:11 pm 

Yeah, we're all ignorant "nanas" and no, I'm not referring to us as a bunch of "sevens" :lol:. Panasonic released a DMC-TZ4K but that must have been a misprint. :P

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:27 am 

So now that the LX5 is official will it be in your present's list? Looks like a capable camera but some of the claims for high ISO noise performance will have to wait on a, to be hoped for, CameraLabs review.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 am 
Lovely camera (& really looks good in white too) but I'm sure the Canon will release a 1080p HD camera to compete with the Panasonic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am 
photographyblog has some sample pictures , I saw improvement in chroma noise handling, but this can be easily removed with imaging software.

Overall, I am not impressed with the sample images with pre-production camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am 
Panasonic seems to commited to the 10mp resolution even as sensor tech improves. I hope this one is good because the LX-3 sensor performance was a bit underwhelming given the resolution it sacrificed compared to rivals.*

When we get a HDMI -> human eyeball adaptor we can do without viewfinders! 8)

*Fact checked myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 pm 
The Panasonic Global page is the best one I've seen, giving lots of detailed info. on the new LX5:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/index.html

Maybe the LX5 is only an evolution of the LX3 but isn't that a good thing? Everyone says the LX3 was excellent, the LX5 seems to build on that success. I was impressed with the sample images I saw on the dpreview site today. The LX5 seems to have lots of features and the movie mode is very interesting.

I'm eager to get my hands on an LX5... now to wait for it to appear in the shops :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:29 pm 

and in Googlish (translated from the original Spanish) is hands on preview with loads of product shots, a short video and a nice cross-section picture of the lens assembly together with a couple of diagrams exploring the advances in sensor design.

Check out Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5: touchdown.

Bob.

Post subject: LX5 quesabesde article
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm 
Thanks Bob, it was a bit tricky to understand in places (Google have some work to do on their translator! ;-)) but at least there were a few pictures! After some re-reading I think the outcome of the article was that they weren't overly impressed by the new features. That is a bit disappointing, although when we take into account that even today the LX3 still stands up well against the S90 and similar models, perhaps it was a bit of a tall order for Panasonic to pack more 'wow' into the LX5? Only professional testing/reviews can tell us more about the new sensor in the practical world. The new movie features would be interesting to see in action too. The jog wheel looks like a big improvement over the joystick, perhaps some LX3 users can comment on that?

The best will be when there is a review of the LX5 by Camera Labs! Any idea when you'll get an LX5 from Panasonic? Tell them that lots of potential customers are waiting ;-)

For myself I have been researching this for a while as I want a camera of this type. The LX3 looked about right compared with the S90 and others, then I read the LX5 was coming. For me the LX5 still looks like a winner and still makes me say "wow"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 pm 
The LX5 noise sample photo looks worse than the LX3...wow,that's really an improvement...

Post subject: Really?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Quote:
The LX5 noise sample photo looks worse than the LX3

Really? You mean the picture of the boat on the quesabesde.com site? I think the LX5 picture is cleaner, at least to my eyes. Maybe it is subjective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 pm 
cleaner of details,yes :)