Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:33 am 
It's actually a view from my balcony, so every now and then I try to capture something interesting :) I hope you like the photos :)

If you wonder how to capture a photo like this, then let me explain:)

It's obviously impossible to react to a lightning and press the button, because with the lag of the shutter (best case <50ms, in compacts sometimes a second), the show would already be over. Long exposures are the answer. This is why it's easier to do these things at night.

Using the Nikon D5000 I did the following:
1. Bump up the ISO to 1000 (gets a bit noisy, but allows shorter shutters)
2. Set the aperture as widely open as possible
3. Focus, then switch to manual
4. Set shutter speed to around 10-15 seconds
5. Set the interval photographing to take a picture every 30 seconds (2 x shutter speed + a few seconds, as the processing after a long exposure takes as long as the shutter time), or turn off noise reduction for long exposures (then just let the interval be one second longer than shutter), then take as many pictures as possible, and hope that among them some will have a thunder visible :]

The interval photographing is a really handy thing, you just set it on a tripod, and don't care about anything, then just view the results, and do whatever you like with them ;) At the bottom of the post you've got a time lapse video of 12 hours, made of 220 shots, also done using the D5000 internal feature :)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1492281507880&saved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:46 pm 

The first shot is great! Great light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 am 
Finally I shot the thunder pic that I was after :)

Hope you like it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 am 

Karol

Your second post and what a cracker! Fantastic image.

Would you mind sharing your story on your settings with us - and how many shots before you got the money shot?!? the same as in your first post...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 am 
Hey Phil!

So it was a very "photogenic" storm last night, I set the interval shooting to take a picture every 17 seconds. The settings are as follows:

15s/F7.1/ISO 500 (shooting every 17 secs), Manual focus (first grab the focus by AF, then switch it to manual).

Here's a collection of the all unprocessed pictures that contained significant thunders on them:

http://karol.mozdzierz.com.pl/foto/thunders/

Overall I managed to get 46 shots with proper thunders :] Not bad for one night :] But I guess that was exceptional, and won't happen any time soon again :) So it's good I was able to capture :)

Regarding the first post - the storm was not as photogenic, so I guess it was chosen out of around 30 shots of 30s exposures (I did not switch off the noise reduction for long exposures, so it took 30 another seconds to do it, and I lost some bigger thunders). The daylight photos were not so difficult, just set it to aperture priority and shoot a couple of pics, then choose best :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:18 pm 

That newest shot is a keeper, great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 am 

I like most: #3. Perhaps a little more brightness for the foreground.
I don't like: #4. Dull colors, probably underexposed, subject not interesting enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 am 
Aah Meersburg and Lake Constance. A very photogenic destination.
Didn't get any storms though. Great pics.