Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Not long ago I posted a question about a Manfrotto Monopod along with a Manfrotto head to go on the monopod. It had a high rating at B&H so I decided to take the plunge and get them both. I had just recently gotten a Nikon D5000 and wanted something to support it. My daughter does dance and my son just started to play football. Active kids need a fast camera/lens to get the action, the Sony P/S just wasn't cutting the mustard.

Anyway, I placed the order with B&H for the Manfrotto Monopod, Model #681 B and the Manfrotto Head #234RC. When I unpacked it, I was expecting something smaller to be honest with you. This monopod is something else. It has 3 sections, with a rubber foot on the bottom.Where the head attaches to the top it will accept a head that uses 1/4 or 3/8 threads. The leg locks are good and strong. A foam grip near the top along with a wrist strap will help with handling. I can say with out a doubt this would be a great walking stick and it could also be used for self defense. This is one solid piece of equipment.

The Manfrotto head #234RC is a very simple but solid head. It looks to be a type of cast metal. The plate where the camera mounts is very nice. Manfrotto has designed it where it takes quite a bit for it to accidentally come loose. I'm hoping to get a Manfrotto tripod in the near future with a head that uses this same plate design. Very solid piece of work.

This is my very first review, and I'll tell you up front this should help me with my photography adventure.They may not make good photos, but you camera will be very steady. I am very pleased with these two Manfrotto products. So if you are looking for a reasonable priced monopod/head combination, I highly recommend these.

Post subject: Thanks!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 am 
Thanks so much for the review. I, too, have been looking for a good monopod with a decent head, and it sounds like your combo might just fit the bill. I have been looking at various models, both used and new, and I would really like to get something like manfrotto, gitzo, or slik, or something along those lines. I have a very old Vivitar aluminum tripod that still works well, but I want to replace the head on that, as well.

Any idea what the weight rating is on your combo? My largest lens and D90 body weigh out at around 4.5 pounds.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 am 
I don't have the numbers in my head at this moment, but I think it would be safe to say this monopod/head combo will be up for the task.

I checked the B&H website and found the #'s for both.

Manfrotto Monopod - Good for 26.5 lbs.
Manfrotto Head - Good for 6 lbs.

I think it would be well within range for your needs. :D

Post subject: Got a used one...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 pm 
Picked up a used Manfrotto 3249 monopod with a used 3262QR ball head on Ebay for around 50 bucks. Should be getting it tomorrow....hopefully it's in excellent condition, but even if it's banged up a bit, it should fit my needs. :wink:

Post subject: ebay tripod
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 am 
Got my tripod and ball head today, and it's in pristine condition! Looks practically new. And similar to original poster, am a bit surprised at the size of the monopod. Very heavy duty, and easily extends past my height of 6'-0" with the head attached. Love the quick release plate, and the head and monopod easily manage the weight of my heaviest setup.

Ball head works really slick, and fits on my old Vivitar tripod, as well, so rejuvinates my tripod, too!

The whole combo really works great and will be perfect for what I need it for.

Post subject: bag....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 am 
Cabo, what do you think of your slingshot bag? I have been thinking of picking up a 300 or 302 slingshot. My old Tamrac Expedition 4 bag is still a decent backpack, but I really like the looks and utility of the slingshot.

What are your cons and pros about the bag?