Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:25 am 

Hi all,

Not sure if this topic has been raised before...but here it goes....

Is it possisble to backup my memory cards if I'm not taking my laptop when travelling?

Obviously looking for a portable solution that can i easily take overseas with me. Maybe a dumb question, but can an external hard drive be used to do this or are there specific products for this type of requirement.

Thanks

Nikon D90 | 18-105 VR | Nikon 35mm f1.8G

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazdhillon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 am 

Depending on where you are going, the best way I can think of is to go to an Internet cafe once in a while and upload your pics to a web server. Or for a more low-tech solution, burn them to a DVD and mail the disc home.

My reasoning is this: You don't really want your backups to be travelling with you. Suppose your bag gets stolen; you've now lost your camera, memory cards, and the backup. Last year a mate of mine was travelling through South America. He used a few SD cards, and somehow lost them/had them stolen, and came back to Australia with hardly any photos. Even if he had a backup, it wouldn't have helped him, since it would have been in the same backpack.

Travel with 2-3 memory cards. This will hopefully give you some time between uploads.

However, if really all you want it to put your photos so you aren't always running out of space on your memory card, you can buy external hard drives that have integrated card readers and will automatically copy files from memory cards. eg:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/de ... wsid=16744

Canon 500D, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f1.8 II, 430exII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:45 am 
Site Admin

Yep, agreed with MichaelM - go into a cyber-cafe and get it burned onto a CD or DVD, then to be extra safe, post it home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm 

I recently bought a used Epson P-2000 for that reason. It has a 40GB hard drive (which can be changed for something bigger) and has built in SD and CF readers. It cost me a little over £60 on ebay, and it's a really useful peice of kit.

www.flickr.com/amr276
Comment and help me learn!