Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:58 pm 
Good timing el. I bought new paper last week and have been waiting for it to dry completely. I consider 7 days to be adaquate (even HP suggests waiting 7 days) for complete drying. The brand is Ilford, and is labeled Smooth Gloss. So I just put a drop of water on the "dry" picture and waited 30 seconds. The ink on the surface smeared, but only on the surface. So I left another drop of water sit for 3 minutes (plenty of time to soak deeper, I think). Again, it only smeared the very top surface. This is much better than the HP paper that smeared deaply after drying several months. Aparently the paper does make a difference, as you suggested. I assume that even longer dry times would help more, but I'm not sure. Perhaps the fastness of the ink is the result of bonding with the paper. If so, the surface ink would always be subject to smearing in water. I wonder what the mechanics are?

It's great that you found a CD that was surfaced to help drying. Is the finish gloss or mate? A mate surface may create a better bonding finish. Anyway, they are aparently listening to our concerns. Thanks el.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 am 
Hi BrianS

Ive never tried ilford and i think they are expensive.

I was able to dig out some of my old prints and they were Kodak papers.
Did a smear test and Viola! they smear quite easily. :lol:

The cd has a glossy finish. The prints look similar to the prints I make with Epson glossy paper.I will repeat the (soak) test again hopefully on Saturday and post some pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:01 pm 
I wanted to dig out this old thread because I accidentally printed on the wrong side of the Ilford paper I’ve been using – Surprise, the ink hasn’t dried after sitting for over 3 hours. Not only that, it has completely faded into itself like a watercolor, becoming a washed out mess. When printing on the right side of the paper the ink sets up very quickly (within 10 minutes), and stays much more resistant to smearing when wet than with the HP paper. What I am concluding is that there is indeed something that transpires between the ink and the paper to make it fast. That is, air drying of the ink is not the only factor involved in drying/hardening. I wonder if the paper is coated with a chemical that transforms the ink so it dries and hardens – if so, it’s probably used on the CDs as well.