Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 am 

Hi All

Today i am posting my first review here on cameralabs.com .. Quite delighted to post a review and that too of my dream lens Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM lens...

I have got this lens on 21st of June at around 7:30 pm in the evening at smart shoppers (smartshoppers.in) who is a canon dealer here in Chennai, India.. Well they promised to handover this lens by 14th but couldnt because of Canon India took its sweet time in delivering the shipment from Canon Delhi to chennai and i ended up getting only on 21st of june...

However here my review will be very much on a layman terms and defintely not into technical aspects of the lens as i am not yet capable of giving such high end reviews..

At first i have never seen this lens in person before buying this lens and when i first took over this lens into my hands the first opinion i got was "WOW" .. quite heavy.... yeah .. trust me handling 1.5kgs in one hand is sure going to bring out frustration when we are on field... BUT i have got what i wanted and my deam lens, YES ! was quite excited and i should thank my mom for giving this as a gift to me ... SUCH A GR8 GIFT for sure....

Ok now into more details..

Build Quality :

One word to describe perhaps - "Fantabulous" .. For some reason i was always thinking why canon L series lens are so expensive and now i realised whey they are... The white colored smooth finishing coat only adds more appealing to the over all lens with manual focussing ring and the zoom ring in black and more grip to turn around , but the problem is with 1.5 kgs weight it sometimes feel like adjusting zoom or manual focussing at the same time causes some inconvenience because of the weight.. again its me i cant say for others , some might feel it quite convenient though..

Also i would like to say that between the manual focussing ring and the zoom ring we can see the focal length in terms of both feet(ft) and meters(m) , the green notations are meant to be in feet and the white for meters.

Besides that we have the different options as below.

1) 1.2 - infinity
2.5 - Infinity

2) AF and MF modes

3) IS On or OFF

4) IS 1 and 2 modes

1) 1.2 for more closeups and 2.5 for distant objects..

2) Auto Focus and Manual Focus modes , but if you are in AF mode and the subject is not focussed properly , you can still select the subject clearly by adjusting the manual focussing ring..I guess thats because this lens also supports full time manual focussing...

3) Image stabilization , if you want move it to ON if you doesnt move it to OFF , however over the reveiws i have seen over the past few years its always safer to turn off the IS when its not in use , though i dont know the technical reason behind that but i keep it off when its not in use also i would like to hightlight one more point , i also keep the lens in MF mode when its not in use ..

4) IS mode 1 and 2 .. mode 1 basically corrects vibrations in all directions and it is mainly effective for stand still photography .

Mode 2 is basically for panning subjects when in motion.. (Ex: capturing fast moving objects with kind of feel background)...

Oh Yeah , its focussing lens is ofcourse USM and its very quiet and does its bit perfectly , very fast and accurate focussing without any annoying sounds ...

Tripod Lock : Very smooth in handling and knob is also very easy to rotate ..

Optical Quality :

Very soon will upload some photos with same ISO settings and with same av and tv values by cropping 100%(both in day light and night) .. so watch for this space more..

Accessories :

Since this is L series lens and i believe they are all same for every model .. But what i have got is lens pouch , hood ET - 87 , a strap to attach it for the lens pouch while carrying it although i hardly used it till date as i have bought lowerpro carrying bag to carry my entire gear.

Overall performance and Conclusions:

Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM lens is an excellent lens to have and with the amazing build quality and optical quality it can never go wrong .. Gr8 lens once should have and i strongly recommend this lens for everybody provided they are not low on their budget.

The only negative point which i see is its weight and other than that i can say that we have a sheer leader from canon and he is going to stay here for longer .....

My rating will be * * * * * out of 5... Go get it and njoy it..

Cheers
Mano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 am 

Hi Mano,

Thanks for the review. We'll look forward to your promised pictures from what is arguably one of the top lenses in its class. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 am 

Thanks Bob

I'll definitely get back to you with pictures soon.

Regds
Mano