Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need new monitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 am 
Hi all,

Im in the market to replace my 5 year old Formac 2010 Lcd
Id like to keep the price under $1,000.
I have been looking at the 24 inch models.
One that has stuck out and has recived very high reviews is a brand up to now unknow to me. Im looking of cource to use for photo editing, calibrated with my Spyder. The Monitor Im interested in is the BenQ FP241W. Has anyone used this monitor, or another I should look at?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am 

Hi Dave,

I have had my BenQ FP241W for a year now and it's still going strong. One very big plus is that it is really bright so I don't have to draw the curtains on a sunny day. A friend of mine who is into gaming went for the "Z" version which includes a technology which BenQ call "PerfectMotion", otherwise known as "black frame insertion". The gamers love that, I believe, but it would be of no value for photo-editing IMO.

If you go for the BenQ I would love to see you post a short "User Review", particularly with respect to how well calibrated you can get it with the Spyder.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:48 pm 
Hi Bob,

I did infact order the BenQ this am.
Price seems very good $627.00 U.S. to my door.
It's back orderd so might take a couple weeks to arive.

Do you use yours for photo editing, if so sounds like the colors were good out of the box, since it sounds like you did not use any calibration devise?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 pm 

Hi Dave,

Yes, I use mine for Photoshopping. It has never been calibrated but if you are into serious work I think calibration is the way to go. The eye is very forgiving so while you can produce visually pleasing results on an uncalibrated monitor you can quickly run into complications if the picture is intended to be viewed on other monitors. And then there is still the thorny issue of printing, whether at home or through a bureau... :evil:

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how calibration changes the look of pictures on the monitor.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.