Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 pm 

Vista really NEEDS a GPU to do any 2D or 3D calculations, as they are not done on the CPU unless they are needed to be.

The whole idea is to use the GPU in your system when not using games, as all its processing power is normally going to waste, so it takes the load of the CPU, and gives it to the GPU, freeing up your CPU to do more important tasks, like calculating PI to 30million!

The idea in theory is fine, but Microsoft just did not optimize the GUI in vista enough, and it runs slow on most graphics cards say slower than a GeForce 7600 / ATI x1600 anything faster should be fine with most stuff.

Dual Screens on vista also causes havoc when you are using multiple applications or multiple video streams (especially HD!) so you again need a faster card for that.

I will usually have a good 5 or 6 firefox windows open, many with over 10 tabs in each (I've had over 200tabs open spaced across 8 windows before - ran pretty smooth!) perhaps running a youtube video that is pretty long and i've forgotten about, then i'll have media player playing music, muted probably because I'm watching Diggnation In HD, then I'll have Photoshop open with 2 or 3 PSD files in it, then perhaps Dreamweaver minimized and probably 2 or 3 instances of the calculator somewhere.

That really starts to hit hard at your graphics card...and none of it is 3D! Although to be frank, your desktop is rendered using the Direct X API (9.0L to be precise - Vista only release although no game uses it, its only for the GUI) so technically everything is 3D!

I know my 6800GT would get most of the work done with brute force back in Beta 1 and 2 (Yes I had beta 1! 2004/5? can't remember it was so long ago!) and my 8800GTS hardly ever slows down in the final version.

As for large PSD files, especially photos, a good GPU isn't a bad thing to have, especially in Vista. Never go with onboard Video, I don't care if you are just using the Command Line, it is bad!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:32 am 

DD_nVidia wrote:

I will usually have a good 5 or 6 firefox windows open, many with over 10 tabs in each (I've had over 200tabs open spaced across 8 windows before - ran pretty smooth!) perhaps running a youtube video that is pretty long and i've forgotten about, then i'll have media player playing music, muted probably because I'm watching Diggnation In HD, then I'll have Photoshop open with 2 or 3 PSD files in it, then perhaps Dreamweaver minimized and probably 2 or 3 instances of the calculator somewhere.

Daniel - You have just been crowned the Multi-tasking King of the Camera Labs forum. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 am 
For the price-conscious: get a video-card that supports two monitors. When you get enthusiastic about Photoshopping, you can greatly benefit from adding a second 19" monitor .

If you have a bigger budget, getting a PC with either SLI or Crossfire set-up allows you to put two graphics cards into your PC which automatically supports 2 monitors.

Matrox have made a kewl little gadget that allows you to use 3 monitors at the same time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:36 pm 
everyone just needs to switch over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:10 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Yep, I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate which can support 128GB (or more) - so long as you can find a motherboard which can accommodate that! Mine can handle up to 8GB, but I've 'only' got 6 in there at the moment.

32-bit apps may only be able to see much less RAM, but when they go to virtual memory, Vista can effectively use RAM instead. So there are benefits to running 32-bit apps like Photoshop under Vista 64 with lots of RAM.

Noticed a review of yours in a pc magazine today gordon, and i knew you had 64 bit windows before u posted it here...BWhahahaha... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:32 am 
backwindow you make me sick!! (with envy..LOL).

Now what is a nice setup :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:07 pm 

...Are those 30" ... oh my god!

I bet their colour corrected too :cry:

But, i would make the switch if they would kindly let me lob a good gaming card in. Plus, I only use NVIDIA GPU's, never fail me :D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!