Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
Hi,

Id like to know how you mostly store your DSLR cameras and lenses. Say for an average usage of about once a week. Some suggest airtight ziplock pouches. Is it safe to store it in Ziplock plastic bags ? I also read on the internet that storing cameras in plastic bags deteriorates the material of the camera body. So id like to hear from members here as to what you actually use.

What ive figured so far is to have it in a cupboard thats in a permanantly airconditioned room, as the ACs actually remove moisture from the room. Secondly, also to have it in a Ziplock pouch.

Id love to hear from you guys as to what you suggest.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 pm 

I generally leave them in my bag system, or have them laying around the room. Never bothered with plastic bags etc. Just don't leave them without a lens or body cap ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 pm 
Everything in a Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home, then that gets thrown in my backpack. Cameras are meant to be used, not preserved for all eternity ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm 

My kit is stored... wherever there is a space. The more expensive bits will be in a camera bag, which I keep open to allow air to circulate.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:42 pm 
I'd be afraid of what might grow in an airtight ziplock pouch...... it keeps things out, but it can also keep things in.

A little bit of moisture for example won't evaporate properly, raising the humidity, which can lead to fungus....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:48 pm 
sometimes in my bag, usually lying around my desk or on my bed, most commonly in my non-photo bag when i need only the camera for shooting. put a lens cap on that baby and you'll be fine =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 pm 

normally i put my gear were i find space for it, withing reach from the computer though.

right now i have the tokina 12-24 ontop of the computer, 70-200 on the camera beside the computer, and the 2x teleconverter on the desk between the keyboard and screen number 1.

i don't see the point of being more elaborate with storage of gear, after all, i bring the camera and atleast one of my lenses with me almost anywere, anytime. also i don't want to miss a shot of wildlife outside my bedroom window either :P

for longer storage i would think in a normal room there shouldn't be a problem as long as the the caps are on the lenses/body.

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, 100mm F2.8 USM, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II,
16-35 F2.8 L 24-105 L IS USM

Sigma 300mm F2.8

Canon Pixma PRO-9000 MKII

and a 17-40 F4L in a hundred little pieces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:00 pm 
The solution for the plastic bags problem is a vacuum machine.
I got one here but never thought about using it for this purpose.
Hm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am 

2 pelican cases which are air tight... both cases have 2 silica containers in them to draw in moisture which might be trapped in the case. I use these cases for storage cause it is what I use when I travel not because I want/need a place to store my gear at home.. its just convenient and they do the job very well.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:10 am 
In one of my two back-packs. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:17 pm 
Mine is either in my hands or the backpack(Canon stuff) or the hard sided case(Olympus things) Big lens lives all by its self in its own case. Yes caps on eveything. I'd worry about the zip lock, here with the high humidity and heat. So far never had problems. After 30+ years I have an Old Pentax Spotmatic that still shoots well and never did anything but keep it in the house(but I just don't use film anymore) :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 pm 
In the bag or at the desk with the lens cap on ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:36 am 
Hi,

Im surprised the majority of you are storing it just as is :). Good, but maybe its also because most of you arent in a coastal area (humid weather). I think i will also get rid of the Ziplock pouch. As mentioned above it also helps keep what is inside permanantly inside.

I dont know how often most of you use your camera. But my usage will be almost every weekend. I understand any sensitive gadget like this if left for months together will develop some sort of fungus problem. So its better to use it at least on a weekly basis.

And like most of you suggested, im extremely careful about maintaining equipment. I always have my lens cap on and just remove it for a couple of shots, then its back on again :).

But i wonder why some people buy camera cabinets with temp control n stuff. Thats overdoing it right ?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:40 am 
in my opinion it's overdoing it yes. I use my camera at least 4 times a week.. if i don't i get shaky hands and just have to take photos of something!
i think that even though you're in a coastal area you don't need any special storing eqipment.. if your room is relatively dry, you'll be just fine keeping everything in a photo bag.
btw, since you asked plainman, i have a canon 30D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:05 am 

It depends on where you live. If you're in a frequently high humidity area then the dry cabinets may be required to prevent fungus. In other regions that isn't a problem at all, so no special storage is really needed unless you're paranoid.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.