Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Should I make a start at going 'pro'
Yes 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
No 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Should I start?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 pm 
Hi all, looking to know, would it be a wise idea to start shooting weddings at 16? I feel i could do it no problem, i had to video a wedding on saturday, it went off without a hitch but i wished i had my dslr with me, so many opportunities to take good shots. How would clients react when the find out their photographer is 16? Ive had a look at some of the local photographers websites and their work is very traditional, i could easily make a name for myself in the area for doing more modern work.
I would need to step up my gear, i can get a 5d with a 24-70mm f2.8L for £120 month paid over 24 months, that finance deal would suit me down to the ground, the work would hopefully cover the cost of paying for the camera.
Would love to hear your opinions, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 pm 

No.

I don't know you, but spending money you don't have is ALWAYS a bad idea in my experience..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
Very bad idea.
after 2-3 years of intense non-wedding photography, you can move up to weddings,because they are difficult as Hell. (that is...if you want to be creative & not just another point-&-shoot photographer) earning money,having a good skill & mastering Photoshop retouching,that what means to be pro. you can't just say "I'm going pro".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 pm 
I know im not going to wake up one morning and be a pro, its a transition, when you have a successful career going. Ive had a dslr in my hands for the past 3 years, when i was videoing the wedding on saturday it looked easy to photograph it. I had a clear picture in my head of the shots i could have been taking if i had my cam. How hard is it really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 pm 
As above No

You're 16 man, get some A-levels, go through uni, get a job.

Photography should be your second priority. You can't just become a pro photographer, its something that happens over time. While you're doing the above, fill up your portfolio, do some voluntary gigs, build up peoples respect in you.

When that happens, people will gradually ask you to do stuff for them, family weddings etc, or you could go forward to a company with your large, and serious, portfolio, and you can slowly transfer your actual job/studies into photography.

Second of all, you certainly do not need new gear, especially not gear which you're going to apparently pay for by "the work hopefully covering the costs." I think by the negative reactions of me and the above, you can see what we think to you being able to earn £120 a month from photography just like that.

I wish you the best and all that, but sincerely hope that you do not embark on this pipedream.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:54 pm 
jeremy gave you a very good advice,get a job first. I have learned a lot about photography,like in 2 years what my pro phorographer friend learned in 4,but I'm still having nightmares for the next year when I think my skill will be good enough, because I need to buy a lot of things. (full frame camera,all-around lens for full frame,bigger flash,laptop & many more)
And I'm getting a job as we speak,I need to save a lot of money. But I really love photography & if you do too,darragh,treat it with respect & time,because you have A LOT of work to do. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 pm 
Yea i suppose youre all right, A levels and uni are my main priorities anyway. Land the odd gig here and there. btw my part time job would cover the camera. Il stick to it as a hobby. Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 pm 
keep your money & keep practicing with your 500D,maybe get a lens or 2 for it in the future,when you feel the need too :) good luck on my behalf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm 
+1 to the getting a lens idea. Buy used and watch it keep its value or increase in value so you can always sell it for no loss if you need the money :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:28 pm 

though, I do have a friend who is 17 and is a Professional press photographer :P

hmm I think I went a little off topic atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 pm 
Homer,"Professional press photographer" involves more than pointing & shooting ? :) I don't mean to be rude,but it's different from job to job...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:13 am 
Payment plans is what has gotten our economy into this poo hole.

Do like I've been doing for the last 6 months: Save up.

[rant]
The times ahead look bad. Small banks are going kaput, governments are using pension funds, unemployment is going up, inflation is going up, the private industrial sector is almost gone and to make things worse they are trying to push a CO2 tax that will destroy whatever is left of the private industrial sector.

But something is getting record profits out of this economic depression, the big banks. Why? The governments are giving them trillions of dollars in bail outs.

My personal advice: Buy gold and silver.
[/rant]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:31 am 

well, this is my friend's blogg anyways:

http://www.alexljungdahl.se/ (Swedish), well some of his works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:40 am 
agun my friend you havd it spot on. gold and silver all the way, silvers due a big up soon once the planet relises how precious it is and how abundant goverment currency is. i know this is a bit off topic, sorry.