Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:55 am 

Thanks for that Bob. You're right, that was the exact model I was looking at too and like you I'd noticed the CPU disparity too. I'm amazed Comet has the spec right as I tend to think of them as a place to buy kettles and fridges rather than computers, lol. It does seem well specified even at the £550 Comet are asking for. I've looked at others and found the same problem with specs - you really need to check the small print of these "bargains". I found it at Lasky's (remember them - I thought they went belly up years ago) for £540 with the T7100 processor and I'm so close to hitting the big "BUY" button.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:37 am 

zorro wrote:
...I'm so close to hitting the big "BUY" button...

If I had ruled out Dabs because of the reported processor issue I would be very tempted to ask them if their web page is in error. It's entirely possible and it might save a few bob. As for Laskys, there's a blast from the past!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:48 pm 
Shame I did not see this post in time, I build PCs for a hobby and I like to think I know alot about them.

If you have any hassles let me know I will try to help anyway I can. Nice mobo BTW if its the one I think (INTEL P35 chipset, it has support for the newer INTEL CPU's coming online with the default FSB 1333.

Here is my WONDA PC SPEC.

INTEL C2D E6600 2.4Ghz ( Overclocked Running @ 3.7Ghz)
Asus P5K Deluxe Mobo
XFX 8800GTX - DX10 GPU
2 x 1GB CELL SHOCK DDR2 1000(Micron D9GKX Modules)
Enermax Server Grade PSu 750w
Thermaltake Kandalf Tower Case
BenQ 24" TFT w/ PERFECT MOTION TECHNOLOGY
X-FI Sound Card
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitecg G5 Mouse
Creative Labs S750 7.1 Surround Sound Speakers.
Canon MP8000 Printer (Very High Res)
D-Link wireless ADSL Router DSL 2740B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:32 am 

C2Q Q6600 just dropped to £130 from £145 (was £145 last month)

700W + Power supply, any decent brand
ASUS Striker Extreme (or one around the £120+ mark)
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Overclock to 3.4-3.6 with Zalaman 9700 - think thats the name)
2Gb Ram DDR2-800 CL4.0 (Then overclock to 1066Mhz to match FSB)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT/GTS or above

I was gonna post it earlier, but you built it already so lol.

Nice overclock on your E6600 although a little weird considering the E6850's only a little bit more than the E6600's do, atleast from my supplier. (plus you would get the unlocked multiplier) What cooler are you using?

I got the ARMOR case, same basically apart from the front is different.

Nice screen! 1920x1200?

Nice GPU aswell, I got the GTS 640 but Overclocked it to the Ultra speeds.

CELL SHOCK, never heard of them, but tighten the timings on the ram, my guess is that it will be 5-5-5-15/5-5-5-18.

Good ASUS board aswell, but all ASUS boards are good lol!

Sturdy power supply aswell.

Sound card - not seen one of those in a while, usually the board does a fine job of handling up to 8.1 audio w/mic

Sweet PC overall though - nice work on building it! I do it aswell since my uncle has a computer shop lol. Made a computer infront my class when I was just 9, worked aswell, was fair chuffed!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:16 am 
I did not have the option of the newer C2D's as I got mine the minute it was released. Upgraded ffrom the AMD San Diego +3700 (Absolute great chip at the time)

My overclock is pretty good for air cooling but thats my whole point why pay the top dollar for CPU's that do nothing else.

My cooler is the Tuniq Tower 120 with the 120mm S-Flex fan inside, this combo cannot be beatin. The Thermalright 120 ULTRA is also GREAT and smaller to but does not cool adjacent components. Okay you can buy cheaper but not as effective but if on a budget the Artic Cooler is a must.

My RAM was really exspensive as it has the best modules in place and for the speed its default Timing are 4-4-4-12 ( I have 4-4-4-10 T2) they are not mainstream yet but sell the memory to other manufactuers for re sale.

I am getting the COOLERMASTER case for christmas I want a side fan for extra cooling. I could buy the side panel for the kandalf but I have had it a while now so time for a change.

The TFT is the best thing I ever bought for my PC especially when editing pictures etc. The native res is 1900x1200.

As for onboard sound are you CRAZY, the difference is astonishing with a stand alone card. Having said that some boards are supplying X-fi on board.

I have had so many C2D boards, I have had the Asus Commando (BAD BOARD) the gigabyte DQ6 and the P35 DQ6 but the P5K is a really sweet board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 am 

Bob Andersson wrote:
zorro wrote:
...I'm so close to hitting the big "BUY" button...

If I had ruled out Dabs because of the reported processor issue I would be very tempted to ask them if their web page is in error. It's entirely possible and it might save a few bob. As for Laskys, there's a blast from the past!

Bob.

Well I've been in touch with Dabs via their online "support" option and was told to give them a detailed email. I did so and as yet (30 hours) have had no response. Goodbye Dabs!

I bought my very first pair of hi-fi speakers from a Lasky's branch in Edinburgh. In 1985, ouch!

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:24 am 
Best place to buy components in the UK is TEKHEADS.co.uk, you know you have a good place when no probs returning faulty stuff. I had two faulty boards in 3 years replaced NO PROBLEM. And the service is top notch and they price match

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Hi Zorro, crikey, I bought my first tape deck and cans in Laskeys in Manchester around the same time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:15 pm 

OK, job done. I took the plunge as regards the laptop and am currently typing went to Comet and bought the Fujitsu-Siemens Pi 2515 for £550. It's got the T7100 processor, 2GB RAM & 160GB HD. It's also wireless so I'm in love. I'm not so sure about Vista but I'll get used to it I suppose.What I'm not so sure about is this damn pad thingy. I need to look into a wee moose I think.

Thanks to all who helped, Bob in particular.

Cheers gang.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:45 pm 

zorro wrote:
Thanks to all who helped, Bob in particular.

Not sure I did much but thanks all the same. Congratulations on your new Amilo. To quote from Tony Christie
    Is this the way to Amarillo
    every night I've been hugging my pillow
    dreaming dreams of Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me :roll:
I upgraded my old ThinkPad to its maximum 256MB of RAM (that tells you how old it is!) this morning and it no longer crashes when running Canon's DPP program and EOS Utility. They have even speeded up a little so that's money that can go towards the next lens instead. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:43 am 
zorro wrote:
What I'm not so sure about is this damn pad thingy. I need to look into a wee moose I think.

Zorro.

I like yourself could not get on with the touch pad on my laptop so went out and got a mouse it is a Logitech V200 Cordless Notebook Mouse price from Currys £19.99 prob the same @ Dixons/PC World as they are the same group. It is powered by 2 AA Batteries and says on the packaging that they will last for a year, it connects to the laptop via a wireless plug into a spare USB port with a 2.4 metre range (but why anyone would want to be 2.4 metres from their laptop is beyond me I for one would not be able to read any posts on here for a start) Very neat, smaller than a normal mouse but fits in the hand very comfortably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:30 am 

Funny you should say that but I was also looking at laptop mice. Then I remembered that my desktop mouse was cordless and connected to my PC via a USB dongle which fits in a handy socket below my monitor. I pulled it out, stuck it in one of the laptops USB sockets and Voila! Robert is indeed your fathers uncle (sorry Bob). It must retain the firmware within the dongle for it to work but work it does, seemlessly.

Now to search for some kind of bag to carry it. Everyone says go for a Crumpler but I'm not sure. I guess as long as it doesn't look like a "man-bag" I don't really care that much.

Zorro.

*edit* - I meant to say, while a 2.4 metre range would be overkill for me I could see how it might be handy for presentational purposes.

Post subject: GET A MAC!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:44 pm 
you should seriously forget the pc's and get a mac. i know i soung like a fanboy, but it's just true. i had a pc and then i switched to mac. i am way happier now. it just works.

you should consider buying a mac pro or a macbook. both really fast and good computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:03 pm 

And way more expensive than I can afford. Besides, my Windows laptop works just fine.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:37 pm 
zorro wrote:
And way more expensive than I can afford. Besides, my Windows laptop works just fine.

Zorro 8)

Mine too