Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Budapest, Vienna, Prague
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 am 
Unfortunately I am unable to post my photo's of Venice since I have already reached my upload limit at Flickr. So for now I will limit myself to some first pictures of Budapest, Prague and Vienna. Especially Budapest agrees very well with me. It is not so touristy but still lively and youthful despite its grand façade. So let's do Budapest first... I was there for five days and took about 700 photos's.

When shooting on Margaret Island, my camera broke down, temporarily. The last picture in this row was the last photo I was able to make. The lens wasn't able to retract and extend properly and the screen went pitch black. Fortunately it recovered on its own. And after I arived in Vienna I no longer had any problems with it. Weird: perhaps some dust got the better of it?

Budapest

Varosliget Park: red and yellows

Heroes Square: hero facing thunder

Gellert Baths: bathing in style

View of the parliament: the most beautiful parliament

Fishermen's bastion

Margeret Island: reflections

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 pm 

I like the first one :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:00 pm 
1st Photo isn't that interesting. 2nd & 3rd photo are interesting subject but distracted by wire & wall, the 3rd distracted by the balcony. I would recommend you try to change view of perspective & compose carefully in other to avoid distractions. 4th Photo looking very good, its detail & sharpness are adequate good job!. The 5th Photo look kinda weird because the statue looks like a 2D Perspective try change of its view of point & make a 3D looks. The Final Photo again, isn't that interesting.

Hope that I can help you to improve photography skill & thats my Two Cents :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
Thanks for the C&C Adi! I think your criticism is very justifiable. I do want to say the 2D-ism is something that I sometimes aspire to. Photography as inspired by graphic design. But I think you are right that in this case (the statue) it doesn't quite work. I have some pictures from a different angle in which the statue looks better, but these do not include people in the yellow raincoats that I liked so much.

Wires are always an issue in Budapest and at one point I gave up avoiding them en tried to incorporate them in my pictures in some way. The problem was that this statue is part of a huge monument. I could only pick between a front or back view and so I picked the back because of more interesting sky. Actually it is the sky rather than the statue itself I wanted as a subject, but I wanted an interesting foreground as well. I really get your remark but I'm not quite sure how I could have solved this problem.

In the third picture, the wall that is blocking the view was planned that way. I though that without it the dome would look quite flat and the picture too symmetrical. I hoped the wall would create a sense of time and movement: that wow-moment as you come into the hall. But perhaps it just remains an obstruction to something prettier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 am 

Haji Adi Zulhusni comments certainly help me as a newbie, I don’t see it as criticism but “constructive comments”

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Oh, I am happy with it. Really! I do not consider criticism to be necessarily a negative word. I meant constructive criticism. I really thought that's what C&C meant. But hey, constructive comments is fine too.

Last edited by Soliwo on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:52 pm 
Prague

I wanted at least one picture of the Karls bridge without tourists. This was the result. Unfortunately my travelling mate did not want to get up before the crowds did. 9am is not early enough to avoid tourists here. the beam of light wasn't planned. I only noticed it when I got home.

1 Karls bridge

My friend Julia always stands like this, though it doesn't look very comfortable in my eyes,

2 Petrin Hill

3 Castle Hill

I think I should probably have included some traffic in this one, but I never seem to know when traffic makes a picture more alive, or whether it just ads confusion. As I did not have a tripod and the light was already pretty low, I though the blurriness of the traffic would not have helped the picture. Not really satisfied here though.

4 Fred & Ginger in pink

5 Fred & Ginger in yellow

Post subject: Prague Photos
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 am 
Some of these photos are brilliant. I wish I had the composition skills that come through in these. Still learning though.

Budapest and Prague have so much to offer our cameras. I'm lucky to live in the latter. Just got to get out more and take photos.

By the way, yes, Charles Bridge is empty early in the morning. And, the crowds lessen considerably in the late afternoon. And, of course, the bridge is remarkable at night with Prague Castle looming in lights above.

Dean

--
http://www.my-prague-sights.com