Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DX lenses
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:55 am 
I have a question about DX lens specifications. I have an AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ED lens, and am considering buying the AF-S DX VR 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 G IF-ED (if I ever find anywhere with stock!).

On my D200 with the lens at 18mm, will I get the same amount of wide angle with the DX lens as I do with the non-DX lens? Or did Nikon already take account of the fact that the CMOS sensor in the camera is smaller than a 35mm film camera when they called the DX lens "18-200mm" ?

Or to put it another way, do I need to use the 1.5 multiplier on DX lenses in the same way as I do with non-DX lenses when using a D100/D200 camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Hello Banana Jack, good question!

Nikon, like other SLR lens manufacturers so far, does not take DSLR sensor field reduction into account when quoting their actual focal lengths. If it quotes equivalent focal lengths though, then the field reduction HAS been taken into account.

So the 18mm on the 18-200mm DX is the actual focal length, and therefore is the same as the 18mm on a non DX lens. The coverage would be the same. If you were using a D200 with its 1.5x field reduction, they'd both deliver an equivalent focal length of 27mm.

The difference between DX and non-DX lenses is that the former is only corrected for the smaller area of Nikon's DSLR sensors, whereas non-DX lenses are corrected for a full 35mm-sized frame.

So DX lenses cannot be used on 35mm or full frame digital bodies - if Nikon were to ever make the latter. And non-DX lenses can work on both 35mm bodies and Nikon DSLRs, although obviously on the DSLR, you'd have the 1.5x factor to take into consideration.

The 18-200mm DX is a great lens for Nikon DSLR owners - check our review at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor18200mm/

I hope you find one in stock soon!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 pm 
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for your quick and comprehensive answer! I am 100% clear now :-) I found it amazing that it was so difficult to find out the answer to this simple question by looking through other websites.

Actually it was because of your review of the 18-200 VR DX lens that I am considering buying it. Jessops in the UK say they have around 1600 due to arrive in October, and have around 450 pre-orders already.

It almost seems to be a lens too good to be true, from a convenience, price and performance point of view! No wonder there seems to be a big demand for it. I guess that besides general advances in optical and VR technology, Nikon are now at last capitalising on the fact that a DX lens can be made smaller because it does not have to be compatible with 35mm cameras.
BJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:47 pm 

Yeah, certainly (it is too good to be true)!
I was quite astonished seeing the 18-200 in real life. It looks so small (albeit the massive D80 body makes a lot of things look small).
It only extends, when you zoom in, or when you let it hang upside down from your neck (which led to a comment from my wife which they wouldn't let me repeat here :oops: ).
The handling of the whole D80/lens combination is almost perfect.