Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:14 am 

I am looking to buy my first DSLR. Am looking for something to take with me on trips, and take pictures than I can't with a P&S. It also needs to be fairly user-friendly for my wife but while that is a concern it's not a deal-breaker since these camera can at least there is an Auto mode to be used till we get used to using a DSLR.

Just for fun, my first and last SLR was a Minolta, I think it was a Minolta 7000 that was a hand-me-down from my father. I haven't used or taken it out in over 15 years!
:shock:

Based on reviews on this site, the three that I've narrowed my choices down two are the Canon T2i, Nikon D5000, and Nikon D90.

Here are my impressions on these three DSLRs.

OVERALL
The Canon T2i has good video and longer recording times. I like that there's the option for an external microphone as well (but that will be something I would buy down the line, not right away). The menu system seems fairly friendly.

The Nikon D5000 is comparable to the D90 with less sturdy construction, but has the benefit of an articulating screen and easy menu system.

The Nikon D90 give you quicker access to changing things on the fly instead of being hampered by using the menu system as in the D5000. The Canon T2i seemed to be more of a two step process for changing some things on the fly which puts it in between the D5000 and D90 in that regard.

I won't be buying lenses anytime soon, so I'll be stuck with the kit lenses for a good long while.

KIT LENSES
1) Canon T2i
- EF-S 18-55mm IS lens OR
- EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

2) Nikon D5000
- 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens OR
- 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX VR Lens OR
- 18-55 VR & AF-S DX VR 55-200mm F4-5.6G

3) Nikon D90
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens OR
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR & 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Lens (but this kit is outside of my price range)

Seems like all three have comparable image quality unless I just don't understand the testing results which is entirely possible. So based on my limited knowledge and understanding, here's what I think are the major points of each DSLR (at least for what I am looking for). If I missed anything, it may be because I just didn't understand it! :oops: :

Canon T2i (Review / Forum Thread): Video Recording (longer times), nice LCD screen, and fairly good ease of use

Nikon D5000 (Review / Forum Thread): D90-like picture quality, articulating screen for compositional ease (albiet I think it would be rare to really need it, but who knows since we've had a P&S for so long, we may be used to limiting our shot composition), more kit lens options, beginner-friendly menu system that may become a hindrance later on.

Nikon D90 (Review / Forum Thread): Sharper screen than the D5000, Semi-pro controls, In-Body AF (a consideration for future lenses).

Are there any points that I've missed or completely misunderstood? I'd love to hear what people think about these three cameras.

Any recommendations on resources to help me learn to use and make the best out of having a DSLR would also be much appreciated!!! I have much to learn!

Additionally, I'm also looking at getting a new P&S and am considering the Sony HX5V or Panasonic ZS7/TZ10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 am 

While I haven't had much/any experience (Held a D90 a couple of times) with these 3 cameras I can say that all 3 will deliver good results.

That being said, I personally think the T2i is looking like a great offering from Canon, especially if it has the 7D sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:34 am 

All cameras are great to be hones.
D90 just has more buttons (less multi-function buttons), the top monitor (helps conserve battery because the main LCD doesn't have to be on all the time to check settings), its a little better built and has the AF motor (for older lenses).
But if your new to photography you probably wont miss any of those features.

I doubt you can go wrong with either the 550D or the D5000. Just think about what you want more, do you want an articulated screen and superior ISO performance (night time shooting), or great video and high MP count (better for cropping images).
And remember, a 12 MP picture will make a 50x 40 cm print, so don't get fooled by Canons 18 MP gimick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:23 pm 

Looking at the D90 with the 18-135 kit, or the 500d (more compareble with the D90 than the 550d) with good glass.
Of course the 550D has better metering, but have you heard many people complain about the metering on the 500d or 50d?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 pm 

If you're new, the D5000 and the d90 will be very similar, but the D90 will frustrate you way less when you get a bit better at photography. I currently use a D2H (pro flagship, but a tad old) and a D90, and when I used a D3000 and D5000 they frustrated the crap out of me.

You can take the same images with both cameras, but the D5000 images will have you cursing a lot more when you're taking the shot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm 

The D5000 is cheaper, and more to beginners who want a step up from the ultra budget D3000.
But, I still recommend looking at the 500D.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:33 pm 

Don't be fooled by the articulated screen on the D5000 -- it's not implemented very well - and is virtually useless when shooting with a tripod. That doesn't mean live view isn't worthwhile, I just think Nikon missed the boat on the placement of the screen hinge and went for impact rather than practicality.

The D90, imo, is the better of the bunch. But for me video is meaningless. Nevertheless, the D90 control and feature set are class leading. The sensor is low-light legendary, and the heft and build are the best of your selected bunch, imo.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:30 am 

Now that all the nikon ppl have said their say, since you they say the 500d is comparable to the d90, I'd suggest going for the 550d, which must then be superior. It also has great ISO performance, better I think than the d90 and the d5000, so nighttime shooting I'd also go for the 550d. It's simply that much newer than the nikons that its tech is superior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 pm 

For the record, I don't consider myself one of the "nikon ppl" here. I simply think the D90 is a superior camera all-round when compared to the T2i, video notwithstanding.

Things such as a top-mounted LCD, brighter viewfinder, and heftier feel tip the scale for me.

If the op was looking to compare the 50D vs the D90, then I may very well have landed on the side of the 50D for its superior AF system (imo, that is) - which I like alot.

Finally, I think the T2i is superior to the D5000 when these two cameras are compared purely side-by-side. With the D90 in the mix, you are looking at comparing entry-level cameras vs a mid-range model. That makes is difficult to do a pure apples to apples comparison -- when one model is aimed at a higher price point in the marketplace.

ymmv. :D

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:59 pm 

Thank you, one and all, for your opinons!

I'll be crossing the D5000 off my list. While I do like the articulated screen, I worry about it's durability and think that will be less frustrating once I get used to using it than the D5000.

Haven't yet crossed out the T2i, but that decision may be made easier by the fact that I am having some trouble finding a place to by the kit with the 18-135mm lens, only the 18-55mm lens. And I can find the D90 with the 18-105mm lens easily enough.

Upper limit on my budget is about $1100 so either of these kits would be fine.

Gonna have to make up my mind soon so I can order it and get it in time to play around with it some before my trip!

Thanks for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm 

Best of luck with your purchase decision. Both the 18-135 and the 18-105VR are very nice walk-around lenses.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:48 am 

Well, I went to a local dealer to actually hold both cameras in my hand. Here are my impressions for what they're worth.

Both the kits I looked at were almost the same price, so price isn't an issue.

Nikon D90
Pros: Built MUCH tougher.
Cons: Kit only includes body and lens (18-105mm). But the dealer said he'd give me an extra battery and 2 SD cards (but I forgot to get the details on the cards, i.e. size and class. Will call to get more details later).

Canon T2i / 550D
Pros: Dealer kit with 18-135mm lens comes with extra battery, lens cap, and UV filter.
Con: Plastic body does feel like a toy compared to the D90. A bit on the small side, but that my be better for my wife.

So, as of right now, I pretty sure I'm going to end up getting the D90. I'll just have to wait for something else to do HD video, maybe a bigger body P&S later on down the line...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:46 pm 

If the two are close in price as you say, then I think you'll get a better all-round camera - again, video notwithstanding - if you go with the D90. BTW -- the 18-104 VR lens is an outstanding lens -- didn't I say that already? :wink:

Did you by any chance even consider looking at the 50D side-by-side the D90? I would have been interested in your impressions of the mid-range Canon vs the T2i.

My Flickr

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 am 

i was in the same fix some time back but then my visit to dealer helped. Ofcourse build quality of nikon speaks for itself and the kit lens is a very good option to begin with but i purchased canon because of two reasons. First since i have small hands so it was fitting better and secondly i am a dealer of canon computers so i got it on dealer price. Now since i am using canon i can say its a great camera very user friendly and great picture quality though some detailing is compromised when compared to d90. Choice is to be made by you so as other dear members advised me i am advising you the same that go to the shop, feel the camera and then decide.

Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:04 am 

jwnrw, when I go back to the store to get my D90, I'll ask to take a look at the Canon 50D and let you know my opinion for what it's worth.

arshron, congrats on the purchase and on getting a good deal. Personally, I do like the Canon T2i/550D. But my wife wants something to take on hiking trips. And I see us using a DSLR when we go on trips so I think that I sturdier camera would serve us better in the long run.

I'd love to see some of your sample pics and videos taken with your new camera. I'll be sure to posts some samples once I get it (though my picture taking skills would definitely not do any justice to what the D90 is capable of!).