Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:02 pm 
^

Did you see the spelling mistake?

"This product is licesed by Hoya"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 pm 
After reviewing the video, which was very useful, I had the same question as the above poster. Why do you recommend compensating by - 1/3 to -1 when the filter is already causing reduction of incomming light?

Thanks in advance,
Ira

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 pm 
The filter is indeed blocking some of the incoming light, but the camera doesn't know about that and just keeps the shutter open longer to get the right exposure, the whole idea about using negative compesation is, precisely, to force the camera not to compesate so much and thus enhance the filter's intended effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm 
Brilliant, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 am 
@Liquid_Turbo
I forgot to mention in my earlier post about the Hoya filters. Either I've been scammed myself (which I doubt since I bought them from a reputable seller) or the filter you show is 100% genuine. I own two Hoya HD filters (an UV and a CPL, both 72mm) and both "boast" the same typo in their boxes. It's hard to understand in these days where auto spell checking is so extended in just about every software suite, but sadly, this kind of typos are not so uncommon.

I also wanted to comment about the HD filters: Hoya's claims about the coatings of these filters being stain and scratch resistant seem to be quite true, it's not that you won't ever leave your fingerprints on them is you accidentally touch them, but stains are not so bad as in other lesser quality glass and are very easily removed with a simple piece of cloth. I haven't, of course, tested if the glass is four time stronger than normal glass :P

Finally, these filters (both the UV and CPL) are designed so that you can keep using your original lens cap, they fit perfectly (at least Nikon's caps) on them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 pm 

Pentax made a nice spelling error a while ago. It happens....

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19786

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:49 pm 
Another one of my friends also picked up a Hoya HD CPL from another reputable dealer and there was the same spelling mistake.. which leads me to think it was probably a genuine mistake rather than an indication of a fake. Pretty great lens so far!

I have a question about the lens.. in the position where the least polarization is seen, is there still any polarization? I was meaning to test this by taking the same shot with the filter off, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:10 pm 
Hello guys and girls, I need help selecting the right polarizer. I am confused with the 72mm.

Is that the diameter of the lens or something else?

If so, which mm would fit this Lens: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR ?

For a quick reply I would be thankful, I want to try order before midnight. Smile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:12 pm 
You need a 67mm Polarizer. Yes its the diameter of the front of the lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 pm 
THanks !!! I actually found that out just before i wanted to delete this post again.

Sorry, I'm still new to all this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:46 am 
Site Admin

RebornAtom, you can find out the filter thread size of any Nikon, Canon or Sony lens in our listings here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/Latest ... iews.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 pm 
OOh right, okay. I will remember next time. I just feel helpless sometimes when i sorta don't know what i am suposed to look for. So thats why i ask stupid questions.

But yeah thanks Gordon, been watching your DSLR Tipps and as you might have seen on the "Photo of the Day" thread i posted a Nightshot on page 152.
If you got any further tipps i will of course love to watch them. OH and if anyone wants Pictures from Switzerland, I'm your contact :P
I can possible also advise where and what you might want to see if you ever come here.

Post subject: Polarizing Filters
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:47 pm 
I'm moving up from point & shoot to a DSLR. I take a lot of landscape pictures (stationed in Germany at the time). Currently I'm leaning toward a Canon T1i with a 17-85mm 4-5.6 USM lens and accessories. Many times, the picture I want the sun is bright and in the direction of the scene which washes out the sky and upper portion of the picture. Will a polarizing filter resolve this? Also, other than protecting the lens what does a UV filter do?

Thank You, I have learned quite a bit from FAQ and DSLRTIPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:27 pm 

A polarizing filter will reduce hazines in images and enhance the sky. Look it up in the tutorials and you'll find detailed information and when and how to use them.
UV filters block the ultra violet part of the spectrum , some less and some more efectively. You won't find a difference in normal shots at usual altitudes, but high up in the mountains where less UV light is blocked by the atmosphere you'll have more saturated colors using the filter.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
Polarizing filter test: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Po ... _test.html

I purchased the Marumi 77mm Super DHG Circular Polarizer... Considerably 'cheaper' than the B+W KSM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next