Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 pm 
Hi folks!

I am looking to buy one of these compact superzoom cameras. I have a Panasonic TZ5, but I wanted to play a little bit with more manual controls and from what I have been reading, it appears that the TZ10 has more options then the HX5V.
However, I am not sure if I got this wrong, but it seems that from what I have been reading, that the HX5V outperforms the TZ10 in low light conditions, faster performance, image stablization (specially in movie mode), etc.
So, which model would you recommend to an amateur photographer like myself, who only does the regular photography (family, pets, travel, etc)?
Also, in terms of manual setup (shutter speed, aperture, etc) is it a fact that the HX5V is VERY limited?

TKS!

Post subject: For sure, go to Sony HX5
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 pm 
Hello emfronza !

Sincerely I think Sony HX5 is ideal to you. I think these cameras (non DSLR) offers lot resources (manual setup) but weak performance, so is waste money. I have Panasonic FZ35 and I am testing for some days Sony HX5 and I can tell you, in my opinion, that camera is superior to take pictures and make videos 1080i. For sure, go to Sony HX5.
And more, the price is excellent.

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 am 
emfronza,

I'm in the same boat as you. Am looking for a P&S that does video. Am going on a trip and planning to get my first DSLR and a new P&S to replace my old Sony DSC-P8 and Panasonic FX7.

From the Sony HX5 and Panasonic TZ10/ZS7 review threads, the following are things to consider

Panasonic TZ10/ZS7
- Vibrant video but streaks appear from bright spots
- Better video quality and auto-focusing at night
- Better sound during video recording
- Vibrant (contrasty?) pictures
- Apeture/Shutter priority modes (PASM)

Sony HX5
- Better low light pictures (Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur modes are good)
- Does in camera HDR (two pics) and iSweep panoramas
- Dull pictures/video, loses focus at night
- Tiny sound from video
- Program and Manual modes only

Be sure to check out MikesMultiMedia's videos comparing the two in movie mode.

I almost want to consider looking at a bigger form factor, but really want a P&S camera for everyday use and not bring something big around. That's what the DSLR is for.

Decided on a video capable P&S because I decided that I didn't want to get something like a Flip or Sony Bloggie when there are P&S cameras that do video. And I intend to take some videos on my trip.

I do want good low-light picture taking cause I'm tired of having being forced to use the bright flash in dimly lit situations, or using slower shutter speeds and ending up with blurry pictures (of course my current P&S cameras are fairly old).

If anyone has any other recommendations for P&S cameras to look at, I'm all ears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:03 pm 
I may just bite the bullet on better video and go for the Sony HX5, for simplicity and potentially better low-light pictures. It'll primarily be used for pictures for the web and 4X6 size pictures so it's soft pictures aren't too big of a problem. Anything is a step up from my older P&S cameras.

I'm also been considering the Samsung HZ35W, but have never used a Samsung camera and don't know much about their quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:58 pm 
I'm debating the very same thing. Because I like to take video, I'm leaning towards the Sony because the streaking on the Panasonic is not what I want. The video, from the samples I saw, look much better with the Sony. I downloaded the samples and streamed them to my Sony TV and you can definitely see a big difference between the two.

However, it seems that the Panasonic takes better pictures in comparison. I don't like how red or warm the Sony pictures are and I'm not sure if that can be adjusted on the camera or if I'll have to do it post-processing.