I'm in the same boat as you. Am looking for a P&S that does video. Am going on a trip and planning to get my first DSLR
and a new P&S to replace my old Sony DSC-P8 and Panasonic FX7.
From the Sony HX5
and Panasonic TZ10/ZS7
review threads, the following are things to consider
- Vibrant video but streaks appear from bright spots
- Better video quality and auto-focusing at night
- Better sound during video recording
- Vibrant (contrasty?) pictures
- Apeture/Shutter priority modes (PASM)
- Better low light pictures (Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur modes are good)
- Does in camera HDR (two pics) and iSweep panoramas
- Dull pictures/video, loses focus at night
- Tiny sound from video
- Program and Manual modes only
Be sure to check out MikesMultiMedia's videos comparing the two in movie mode.
I almost want to consider looking at a bigger form factor, but really want a P&S camera for everyday use and not bring something big around. That's what the DSLR is for.
Decided on a video capable P&S because I decided that I didn't want to get something like a Flip or Sony Bloggie when there are P&S cameras that do video. And I intend to take some videos on my trip.
I do want good low-light picture taking cause I'm tired of having being forced to use the bright flash in dimly lit situations, or using slower shutter speeds and ending up with blurry pictures (of course my current P&S cameras are fairly old).
If anyone has any other recommendations for P&S cameras to look at, I'm all ears!